Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sliding side windows with Vents

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Anteak, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

There is a set of these off a 79 blazer in a local salvage yard. The tracks are dirty and the window hardly slides. The plastic locks are broken. The rubber around them looks like it won't last the removal then installation. The wing windows rotate. These are untinted.
    They want 50.00 each.
    I haven't checked if they are even the same size as my windows. I currently have one piece windows with nothing wrong with them.
    Are vented windows worth getting?

73 Blazer in So. Ca.

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But..custom is always cool! I have found that for some reason, the newer windows won't fit a 73 top. Is yours a 73 top? I have a 74 and had a hard time finding glass and window gaskets. I have them now, but it took forever to get the right glass and gaskets (LMC didn't even know where to get the right parts). From what I have heard, it's even harder to find aftermarket windows and gaskets because of the thickness of the glass. Anybody else know anything?

There's no substitute for cubes and inches!

3. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I have those sliding/opening wing type windows. I live in Phoenix, AZ with no AC, and although I don't ride in the back, I really really really wouldn't want to without those windows open. I don' know how hard it would be to tade them in, but I would sure try if my truck didn't have them already.

No, thats not a dent in my truck's body. I call it my truck's armor.

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

the insurance company replaced mine, and they were $600 a piece, i was glad i did not have to foot the bill for 2 of those and a new windshield $1500 total
    for $50 each i would consider buying just to keep as spares
    where was this junkyard again JK
    the kids do like them in the back
    i think they got the gaskets from the dealer
    chris

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have them as well and really like them (so cal as well), but make sure to get the plastic locks fixed even if the tracks are stiff. Mine are stiff but they still manage to open themselves a few inches every 5 miles or so. Dang window gremlins!

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You can get those locks for free from South Co., a lock manufacturer. Just go to their website, and request a product sample...I think thats what you do. The PN is 07-11-201-12. Just put your name or something as the company name...could even add a Co. or Inc...[​IMG]

90K5

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I have those windows and they are nice. Dog likes it

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blueknight.alloffroad.com>http://blueknight.alloffroad.com</a>

9. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

Is what Shane74 said about different sizes for different years true. I thought they all looked the same. Is it the length, height, or width that is different. What do I measure to check the difference?

10. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if the sliding windows will fit in a '75 top. I'm guessing no, since they don't fit in the '73.

<font color=blue>I'll bet that, regardless of the reason, the people in the E.R. always giggle when they pull something out of someone's ass.

11. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

honestly I do not know. I have looked at the back windows on alot of blazers but never noticed a difference in size.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blueknight.alloffroad.com>http://blueknight.alloffroad.com</a>

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It's the actual thickness of the glass and the way the tops are constructed. Do you have a single layer shell, or double? Some of the older tops are just a thin shell without the reinforcing second layer on the inside. The easiest way to tell is if the inside roof is smooth or if it has any raised ridges. If it is smooth, then you my friend have a single layer top and anything other stock glass and gaskets will fall out at random (I found out the hard way). I tried putting the sliding windows from an 84 Jimmy into the top for my 74.....bad idea, I made a big mess all over the freeway. If you have a double thick top, then the gasket will fit around the window, and the glass dimensions are the same, but the slider is too thick to fit the gasket right, and again, it could fall out at random. For what it's worth, that is what happened to me.

There's no substitute for cubes and inches!

13. Anteak

Anteak 1/2 ton status

I'm currently at work so I can't look right now, but I think I remember seeing a 2" rib going across the interior about every two feet or so.
    Thanks for the update on the differences.

73 Blazer So. Ca.