Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sliding spring mounts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boots, Jan 18, 2003.

1. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

one of the racer shops in the city hase sliding mounts for leaf spring. THey look to weld on the frame for the front of the springs. I've been trying ot figure out what advatages there would be to using these on a race car and possibly an offraoder. any thoughts?

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

guys around here use them on their dirt track cars. there's too many parts to that thing for me to even try to use on a vehicle that sees mud or something.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Gunk build up would definitely be it's worst enemy. Lubrication would be the next. Those are the only two arguements I can think of against them. I can't think of a decent argument for them. I can think of some subtle reasons for them, but I'm not convinced they add up to enough to warrent making the change.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I was on a trip a few years ago with Willie Worthy, the tech writer for one of the 4WD magazines. He had the sliding mount on the front of his Jeep. He told me that he got the idea from the circle track folks, who use them to keep suspension angles from changing as the suspension moves through its travel. But he also pointed out that the biggest shortcoming is that they don't allow for much suspension droop. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Since there is no shackle to allow one end of the spring to drop with the wheel, articulation is extremely limited. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I looked at a pic of one in a mag but couldnt see how it would be worth the effort.

6. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I'm with the rest of ya. I have seen them in the past and off road isnt for those things

7. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You know i read an artical on this very same thing and and if i read right the guy that designed the revolver shackle is working on a shackle/shock set upits in one of the mags out right no looks like it might be a interesting idea ill look for the pics and see iff i can get them on for look /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifsees

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Wheel with a Jeep {from Mich.}in Tellico{Tenn}who used sliders 4 a while.Said it handeled better on road,but,didn't flex as well offroad.Also carried extra rollers cause lots of flex tore them up often.He's gone back to shackels now. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN. They look cool though.