Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slight Skip/Jump when turning right sharply.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JoeAngelicchio, Jul 22, 2006.

1. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I just noticed it today in a shopping mall parking lot. I was turning right (probably all the way right) when I noticed the left end skip/jump very mildly through the turn. When I turned not as sharply, it wasn't there. I did the same turning left and it didn't do it, just right. I replaced the front axle u-joints 2 summers ago and it's not a daily driven truck so I didn't pack on the mileage. But all the ball joints are still the original ones (it's an 86 w/10bolt). I still have to make time to raise the front and check for anything loose but the quick visual doesn't show anything obvious. Busy working on my kids playset so I thought I'd get some ideas first before I start on the truck.
    Thanks

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sounds like u-joints

3. JoeAngelicchio

I was afraid someone was going to bring those up!!!:eek1: But so soon!!! Do they just wear out quickly? They are half decent ones, but with the grease fitting(I'm pretty sure, have to check again), not the non-greasable ones. Just can't remember the brand, got them from NAPA. OK, I plow my driveway during the winter and that's 2 winters. I guess that can accelerate the wear somewhat. But so soon!!!!:mad:

4. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

It was a civic. Nothing wrong with your truck.

5. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

my jimmy has always done the exact same thing. I used to worry about it, but it seems to be a normal ocurance according to everyone ive talked to.

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

My 2wd does it. I think its the alignment

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sounds normal to me!..

All of my trucks do that with the wheels cut all the way!--what your feeling is the tire slipping on sand or dirt when they are at such an angle..due to "Ackerman" effect,one tire turns at a sharper angle than the other--also the camber is extreme during a full lock turn,so only part of the tread makes road contact..plus 4wd's steer so sharply the tires go nearly sideways compared to a 2wd..my 4x4 can do a 180 where my 2wd has to take at least a 2 point turn!..so some slippage is normal..

When your in 4WD,the front axle often feels like its grabbing and releasing if your turn the wheels on tar or packed dirt,due to the u-joints in the knuckles,they actually make the axle shaft speed up and slow down with every revolution..thats why other driveshafts usually have at least a pair of U-joints,to cancel out the variation in speed..

Its possible a caliper or brake hose is letting one brake drag some ,and encouraging this to happen..jack it up and spin the wheels by hand,see if they feel stiff and hard to turn on one side..:crazy:

8. JoeAngelicchio

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll give it a once over just to make sure something hasn't worn out anyways. Couldn't find a Civic dangling under there so that's ruled out!!:rolleyes: