Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

slightly differant idea front suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Aug 8, 2005.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

In the name of flex, why not move the rear shackle point forward when using lift springs and run longer shackles to get a better shackle angle? if you dont move the front point and only move the rear, would this help much? i have 4" tuff country springs now, and am thinking about a 52" swap just cant afford crossover at the moment. could this get me by? The other problem i have is time, everything i do has done be done by sunday (starting from a friday night) cause i got to work on monday. so if i do half the swap now i only have tp deal with the front of the springs later. thanks guys

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i dont realy understand the trend or fascination with the 52' in spring conversion. i talked to steve at ORD over a year ago about the 52' conv., and he said they (ord) sell a stock length custom lift leaf spring that would easily see 12 inch plus of wheel travel. he said by the time you do all the work for the 52' conversion you still wont have the flex or the ride of a custom leaf spring. plus you possibly run into clearence issues with hi-steer crossover setups. it maybe kind of a big cost up front but you just bolt them in and your done. i was going to do the 52' swap too until i talked to steve about it, and if there is one one guy on this site that most people seem to trust or go to for answers, its him. he obviously knows his stuff. so i am going with a custome leaf pack when i can afford it and save myself some greaf. just my $.02 cents.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

how much does the custom that steve sells run? i know i should make a call but phone is on the fritz

4. rdn2blazer

i think he told me at the time about 650.00 for the fronts. but dont quote me on that. i also takled to the likes of Deaver, National Spring, and Long Beach spring & forge and a few others. not sure of the brand ORD sells but they wouldnt sell a product they had'nt tested and were happy with. i think Steve said they had there custom spring on his brothers rig which is bad ass, flex's like mad. there are other reputable custom spring manufactures out there im sure. i have herd them mentioned here before i just dont remember the company names. for myself i will also consider deaver spring cause they are local to me and have a excelent reputation for custom springs. they will "tune" your custom springs once you have had them for a bit if you are unhappy with the ride or flex or whatever, if any problems arise.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

cool. Now im still wondering what people think about moving the rear mount for a better shackle angle. it just seems really crappy to me, and when everyone does a spring swap shackle angle is real important, so why wouldnt it be important with stock length springs too? :dunno: :confused:

6. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Most people who bolt on a set of lift springs just don't know any better :wink1: Luckly you do. Yes going to the proper length shackle mounted in the correct place for that spring will make a big difference.

Thats exactly why people use 52's up front! If I can get a good flexing spring for free why would I want to pay 650$ for one. Sure it might now work quite as well, but it works dam good. You realy don't want much more flex than those 52's will give you anyway...to much flex can be a bad thing also.

It the same thing with square front driveshafts... a 1000$ shaft is a hard sale when you can make an indistructable front shaft for 45$.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Thanks, thats exactly what i wanted to know

8. rdn2blazer

to each his own, three 6 hour saturdays of time and half and my springs are paid for. bolt'em in and run'um i like that route myself. :D

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what you are talking about does not sound like a new idea at all.

I am sure someone can come up with pictures of their relocated shackles.

Problem is this, crossover is needed with 52" springs because they travel far too much for stock steering. This setup you are talking would also overflex for the stock steering.

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i was worried about the flex issue, but i figured if im not moving my axle forward, and im not pushing it that hard i can get by for a few weeks without it, then put in crossover, the other reason 52" are a draw back is cause its more work at 1 time, and this being my dd i can do the springs now, move the rear, do steering in a few weeks, move the front when i get 52's blah blah blah. since it wont all have to be done at once it will be easier and i wont have to rush.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

shortening the drag link by moving the axle forward is also of course an issue.

12. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Amen! It is not the length of spring that causes steering woes, it is flex! Anything you do to increase flex will severely handicap your steering. If you can't turn, what good is flex? Most trails aren't straight... at least around here.

Bottom line.... big flex equals big problems to:

1. Steering
    2. Driveshaft
    3. Brake Lines
    4. Shocks
    5. Tire Clearance

Use any flexy suspension setup you want.... these items will still need addressed.

I don't have a ton of money either. That's why I addressed steering before many other things I want/need. Yeah I could have bought a front Dana 60 & locker for the cost of my steering, but what good would it have done me if I couldn't turn?

13. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

I run an Alcan front spring that might be what you want , they call it the "+7".
    It's 7" longer than stock , all the length is from c-pin back and also provides 7"-8"of lift
    It has 11 leaves and flexs great and holds a BBC up! I run it with a +2 shackel moved back 5"
    which gives me a nice ang.The one downfall is I did not move the front
    diff forward so 38.5" tires make reworking the fire wall necessary. And
    with a super thick leaf pack you can't run a Z-rate,though you could re-drill the spring perch to move the front up (whick I might do). I paid $470 for the front springs before deliv. and the flex very nice.

And as a small side note save your money up for a good front shaft the sq. tube shaft is a mess in the making. Just when you need them to compress or extend they bind and break S$%#. The one 32spl 205 front output that I have seen break was when a sq. shaft decided to become "solid". The cost of a 1410 joint, yoke and the 32spl input where more than a good front shaft from HAD.

I agree 100% to what DougK20 has said . One without the other is of no use.

A friend of mine has a front 60 in a Sub with 52s and 36" TSLs and stock style steering and it's like a Bobcat skidsteer in the woods :crazy:

just my .02

Thanks Jeff

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i understand the steering issues associated with more flex, and they will be adressed. i have a d60 waiting in the garage to be thrown in, and im doing that w/ my crossover. i figure that as long as im on the street going from point a to point b then steering should not be an issue. it can wait two weeks while i get the funds. Thanks for the replies though. kepp em coming! :D

p.s. i was sure someone had done this before, i just had never seen/ heard about it.

15. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I'm a budget build guy myself. I can't justify spending $ on stuff for fun I could spend on my family, even if I can afford it.

16. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

You can't justify spending money on toys no matter the amount, it's just that a toy. You just have a milder form of the addiction.

We don't half to spend a ton of $ to go good offroad, just got to spend it in the right places :wink1:.

I think thats where this thread started :doah: .

Jeff

17. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I like the saying : "He who dies with the most toys wins." :D