Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

slightly harder core: Of sliders and rocker boxes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Aug 21, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Stinking about sliders to replace the cheap and nasty nerf bars on my '74. (I bought those solely so my then-wife could get into the truck, so they're not useful any more :haha: )

However, seems like the rocker boxes are in the way to attach damn near anything up there. I don't really wanna start a major project like boatsiding the damn thing this close to BlazerBash -- and I still gotta go buy and install a Detroit! -- so I was thinking sliders might do well.

I saw DP90-whatever's stuff, looks nice (though he doesn't answer PM's or email, sniff, guess I should call :) ) ... but I presume I'd hafta :hack: the rocker boxes out to install them.

Heck, if I'm gonna do that I can weld up some 2x4 or 2x6 square tube myself. :thinking:

So, the question here: should I keep the rocker boxes, gut them, remove them entirely, what?

The truck does have a full cage with good lateral support above the rockers, so that's a start. (And it has those nifty rubber handles :haha: )

-- A

2. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

If your rocker boxes are rusted cut them out and weld in some 2x4" or 3". If your looking for something bolt on check out my site. I can also add steps if so desired. If you do gut them you might as well start boatsiding it too.

Jesse

stuck.jpg

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I just cut mine out and replaced them with 2x2 box(weld in sliders from 4x4 iron. It was pretty easy(i had really good help) :D and i like it alot, ill post up pictures tonight

4. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

i welded up a set and attaced them just below the seam. they work really well.
    gabe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

These are pretty simple, bolted to the body mounts

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I cut them out and welded them to the floor and to the bottom of the rocker box mine is a 73 so it is the same as yours I used 3/16 3x3 welded them to the floor first ( kind of hard to do if you are an amutuer like me and then had a friend weld them to the bottom of the rocker box you need to do some prodding and pulling on them but it all works out and I have hammered on mine a couple of times

rockerskids2.jpg

rockerskids3.jpg

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

remove the stock ones entirely, replace with some 3x2 or 4x2 rectangular tube. This adds ground clearance, unlike common bolt-on sliders or nerfs which take it away. It would also help make the cab more rigid / less flimsy.

j

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, that makes sense ... but what didn't occur to me was the welding to the BODY, rather than mounting to the frame.

You just put a tube along the outside wall and called it good, no reinforcement to the frame?

-- A

9. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

The ones I have, as well as the one's Daniel (DP90K5) fab up attach to the body stiffeners under the body. I have sat the truck down on one, and there was 0 damage. Mounted that way, they will support the weight of the vehicle. Pictures can be seen on my webshots site in my profile.
    John

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You are over thinking things. I have more than sat the weight of the truck on mine with no problems. It has fallen 2+ feet directly on to them, slit sideways at full lock, wedged through opening literally smaller than the truck, no problems. Cut out the rockers and weld in some steel. It works.

11. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hope to not really hijack bot on the same note regarding sliders built into body on pickup truck. I made some sliders with some 3x2 last year and they attach to frame. Lately I have been thinking of boat siding somehow but with the seperation between bed and cab how would that work. Maybe do light boatsiding for clearance then move my frame mounted sliders up so can still slide from front to back tire.... Here are my current sliders:

DSC01408.JPG

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Just curious, but what bumper is that? That thing is sweet. Did you make it? :D

[​IMG]

13. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah do tell. And I was just going to ask the same question

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I like that bumper alot. Its probobly one of the best bumpers ive seen, its looks clean :D not too busy looking, i wonder if a winch could be had on it? :D

15. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I used 2X4 square tubing, 2X6 would be better I think the way I did it. I cut all the way to the weather stripping. It has held up great so far with big slams on them. I welded them onto the body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

nice work there Stallion85, reminds me of how I did mine...

I love my sliders, though I have not really used them persay...I put them up pretty high so I hardly have touched them with a rock :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Probably because you told me how to do it ;) :D

Youre pic's really helped me when I did mine :wink1:

18. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

:thumb:

You certainly went to town on your Blazer when you got home! Glad someone got something out of one of my posts...for once :haha:

19. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I made both the front and rear bumpers on mine. The front bumper was made with an old driveshaft. I am working on a provision for a winch to mount behind the bumper and come through the front. I dont know what winch I am going to get yet so I dont know. Thanks for the complements.
    gabe