Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slightly OT: Home stereo FM reception

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BadDog, Jun 24, 2006.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, first post in here and a bit OT, sorry, didn't know where else to turn.

My problem is the stereo in my shop. I've always done sufficiently well with built in or strung-out-wire FM antennas that come with cheap stereo receivers. Always been good enough for me as I'm no audio buff by any means, so I don't need a high end expensive, complex or time consuming solution. But something is up in my shop because I can't get decent reception on any station. Lots of static and general distortion mostly, and it varies as to how bad it is, sometimes becoming intolerable. Seems worst on hot days (welcome to Phoenix AZ in the summer!) and the fluorescents being on makes it noticeably worse. Taking the unit outside the shop makes it work like it should, so it's not the unit, or doesn't seem so.

I'm thinking it's probably a combination of ceiling duct-work (abandoned evap system), lots of wiring in the walls, overhead power line right above the back wall (where the receiver/antenna sits), and all the steel stock and racks around the walls. That limp little wire just aint cutting it. Is it safe to assume that I just need a cheap external omni-directional low gain antenna? Or is there an easier/cheaper solution that I'm just ignorant of? If antenna is the answer, what am I looking for? Specific recommended brands known to be cheap/robust/common/easy would be great...

2. BadDog

Oh, and if I would just stand there holding the antenna, all my problems would be solved... Hmmm, wonder if my son is busy today... ;)

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

An old TV antenna on the roof works very well for FM on home stereos.

4. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

What Z3PR said, I left my roof arial up after we got Sat just so I could have decent FM... I'm nowhere near a tower and get great reception out here in the stix.

5. BadDog

Well, that may be just my answer then. I figured it was just a matter of putting up an outside antenna, but I've learned through much wasted time and effort not to jump in with my guesses and assumptions without checking with those who know more than I do...

Thanks for the info...