Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slightly Psycological Question Relating To Imagination

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I do the following naturally, does anyone else:

You hear a song, not the normal everyday pop crap or nonsense jam songs. What I mean is, songs like "Simple Man" "One" "For Whom The Bell Tolls" "Like A Stone" ect. Different songs have different meanings to different people.

Anyway, you hear that song

Do you have an entire movie in your head mapped out to that song? Complete with cinemetogrpahy, camera angles, action, timing, placement, etc?

Sometimes I wonder.....

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Can't say I've heard those songs.
    But I did dream up another life for me once, it was creepy.

3. Resurrection_Joe

That's very telling Stave

Of course, knowing how old you are (no disrespect), it's predictible

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Not that way but I have mapped out how I'd design stage shows. Kinda almost the same thing sorta maybe?

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

as far as the Metallica tunes go, her' s my feedback:

For Whom The Bels Tolls:

The whole point of that song is:

"Take a look to the sky just before you die
    That's the last time you will!!!" triplet, triplet, bass/crash

That's all I picture: A group of people looking up just as an orb of fire crashes down upon them, consu,ming them in fire!!!!

One:

The video wrceked it for me. I always pictured a crazed Vietnam vet shooting up a boatload of beurocrats unytil I saw the vid.

The other songs? I'm probrably too old, eh?

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Never an entire movie, but certain scenes. Ever listen to a song and feel like you're in a movie at that exact moment, like you're driving and a really good song comes on, something that matches your mood perfectly? I had that happen to me the other day, it was weird.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Like A Stone - Audioslave

Like A Stone is my current huddled-in-the-corner crying-without-moving eyes-wide-open looking-inward song

Very creepy

I interpreted as a last look at the open freedom of life, but eh

What's REALLY spinechilling is watching the S&M live DVD, when they end that line, ALL the lights go out, and there's complete silence

I don't know got that from One....

8. Resurrection_Joe

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean. The first time I realized this was when i was driving at night with the window down, cool air, and Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty came on. Just that slow blues progression.

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

"Remember when" by Alan Jackson bears such a resemblance to my life that it scares me. Also "One boy, one girl" I dont remember who sings it but since there's like a 70% chance I will have twins this song makes me think.

10. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Yeah, cetain song make me think up a cinematogrophy thing in my head. But only certain songs, not all.

As far as "One" goes, I suggest everybody read the book "Johnny Got His Gun". It was written in 1938 and is the basis for Metallica's "One".

I think you'd like the book RJ, it's pretty F-ed up and psychological. Good stuff. :D

11. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

The Sky is Cying- Stevie Ray Vaughn : Sad movie (in my head)

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I don't see the complete movie in detail, just the highpoints. Sometimes the movie I see is the movie that used the song in a scene.

"Can't always get what you want" is William Hurt in the Porsche trying not to be late to his friend's funeral in "Big Chill".

"Satisfaction" is the final scene to a B movie where some LA auto workers rip off a Colombian drug lord (James Caan?) and pick up Lindsey Wagner along the way. Just something about the co-pilot slinging a .50 out the DC-3's cargo door while the pilot softens up things by dropping grenades out the side window that sticks in my head.

13. Resurrection_Joe

I didb't mean actual films, I meant completely imagined scenes

14. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

When I hear certain songs, usually I use the "wayback" machine in my head, and I'm right back in a place the song reminds me of.

F'rinstance, when I hear "one", I think of the video, and the guy not being able to speak, but still having the power to think and be cognizant. In my head, I go back to when my mom was on a ventilator dying of cancer,not having the ability to speak, but still knowing what was going on. Then the fast angry parts of the song take me to the aftermath of her passing when I redecorated the waiting room using my fists.

My wife hates it when I leave the song play when it comes on the radio, 'cause she knows the story, but to me it's cathartic and motivational. I run better on negative energy than positive anyway.

When I hear Skynyrds " last rebel ", I do imagine that song being played at my wake though. that's about the only song where I think of a future event.

For the most part, I replay memories out of the past, rather than just making stuff up.. I guess I'm not that creative.

Tom

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

To me they're interchangable. Movies in my head are just that, regardless of the source. Movies I've seen, 'what if' scenarios I've played out in my head, the visual imagery that verse or text inspires are all jumbled together. Some are qued by songs, others by particular things happening, some are so totally random that I wonder where they came from.

16. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Haha, I was just doing that this morning with a Slipknot song. I had this whole fight scene going in my head. I was really combining characters from a couple different movies and TV shows, but it just popped into my head whilst the song was playing.