Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slip joint direction

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SilverJim, May 13, 2002.

1. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I just got my new rear driveshaft and I am not exactly sure which direction the slip joint goes, if it matters at all.

I looked on my Ram, and on the front driveshaft, the slip joint is on the end closer to the axlehousing, but there is no slip joint on the rear.

I tried looking at some pictures, and I think I'm supposed to have the slip joint closer to the axlehousing (instead of the transfer case) but I wanted to find out what everyone else was doing. I wouldn't mind hearing a bit about the theory behind which way it points too. thanks.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't know that it matters? My stock driveshaft had the slipyoke at the front (I have no idea if that is how it came from the factory). My 1-ton CV has it at the rear.

3. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

The slip joint in the rear is up by the transfer case. The front is by the differential. It seems they would get less road crap in them that way.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All rear factory drivelines with a slip in the driveline go towards the rear differential. If it is a two piece driveline then it is near the center of the vehicle with a carrier bearing just in front of it.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Duno the theroy but my rear slip is at the Xfer case. The front one w/CV is at the axel. I think if you have a CV on your shaft the slip is at the axle. A shft with out a CV......seams to be mounted at the Xfer but could go to the rear if you wanted?
    Maby you can PM drivelineman?

6. Dune_Goon

Dune_Goon Registered Member

I believe you guys are talking about a two piece driveshaft, correct? One piece of the driveshaft is about 6" long. Anyways, the front goes towards the axle and the rear goes towards the transfer case.