Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

slip yoke cv or sye cv driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Nov 20, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

alright it looks like with the addition of the zero-rates to the 8" lift im definitely going to need a cv shaft. i currently have a 208 t-case. HAD does make a slip yoke cv shaft, but i like the idea of sye, which would require me to buy a 241. my 208 is in prefect working order so i could get soem money back from it. seems like to go the sye route it would be about twice the amount. which would you do? Im kindof leaning towards sye, but i wanna get my truck running again asap

2. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

IMO i like both the slip yoke style and the SYE but their is a slight loss of strengh by way of using the regular slip yoke.
    the SYE is cool but you need to sacrafice gears of the 208 in faver of the 241, i say go with the slip yoke CV

thats just my opinion though.

LUKE

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sacrifice gears of the 208? THe 208 is a higher gear ratio then the 241...

I'd go the SYE route. Think you will be happier in the long run. Plus you lose a little driveline length which will help angles.

4. SARGE

SARGE Registered Member

I have a 12" lift and a 241. I had a brand new shaft made on the rear I wish I had a SYE on it. It's stronger than the stock slip that the cases come with. It seems like when I accelerate from a stop or come to a stop, I can feel the slopiness in the case and driveline cause it shakes the truck a bit.

5. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

I would go w/ a sye, it is stronger and you get more drive shaft length. I am going to try to do a sye on my 208, so we will see how that works out.

later
    jmd

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

thanks for the replies. ya originally i was gonna do sye on my 208, i had the parts, but had to sell them to get money to fix some stuff on the truck. i think i will end up going with sye, i just dont trust slip yokes, and the thought of the rearshaft breaking and not being able to drive home in front wheel drive scares me since its my dd and i drive to the trails.