Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slip yoke eliminators

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Nov 13, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Were can I find a slip yoke eliminator for a 90' model NV-241 ????? who's used them can they be installed with the t-case in the truck???????

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Brian LaBarge(ck5 name "LaBarge") has installed one on his 241. Might PM him....

Marv

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Check out www.highangledriveline.com, I got mine there. I don't think you can install it with the t-case in the truck, you pretty much have to take the case all apart.

[​IMG]

4. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have abused mine for the last 2 years or so with no problems. I got it from High Angle and installed it myself. I would not attempt to install it with the case in the truck. It only takes about 20-30 minutes to drop it out of the truck and it weighs less than 100 lbs.

6. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

would this work for a 208 also or does someone make one for a 208.....Jason

7. yellowK20

link didn't work how much are they ????

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

The link is to the homepage, if you scroll down a little there is a link to the short shaft kit page the url is http://www.highangledriveline.com/231_short_shaft_kit.htm

I think Jesse gets his kits from JB, I bought from him after reading that someone got some incorrect parts from JB. He was cheaper too - even after shipping.

9. yellowK20

my computer must have down syndrome that link won't work either /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got mine from JB Conversions, real nice kit. Check it out here: http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/np241/index.html
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">The JB page shows a Jeep and a HD truck version, what's the difference?

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sadly no one makes a 208 version. You can convert the guts from your 208 with guts from a Dodge 208 with no slip yoke. I am just going to hunt down a 241 and put that under my K5 and High Angle SYE kit. Want to eliminate the Slip yoke and a little lower ratio is always welcome.

12. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes those SYEs exist for the 208 but its a cheap crappy way of doing it. It doesn't shorten the overall length of the case at all either.

14. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

which part is crappy.... the only real negative thing ive heard about these is that people have busted or twisted a shaft, havent heard any bad the flange it self which is the only special part in this whole thing.

15. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The 241 SYE has a bearing in the output housing at the end of the shaft. That 208 SYE wannabe uses the stock output housing that uses bushings. The reason people are busting shafts is two fold, one their drilling, thus weakening the shaft, and two, there is no additional support at the end of the shaft. Oh, and your actually lengthening the output shaft by adding the bolt on yoke. This causes more leverage too.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The 241 SYE has a bearing in the output housing at the end of the shaft. That 208 SYE wannabe uses the stock output housing that uses bushings. The reason people are busting shafts is two fold, one their drilling, thus weakening the shaft, and two, there is no additional support at the end of the shaft. Oh, and your actually lengthening the output shaft by adding the bolt on yoke. This causes more leverage too.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said, I really have no idea what I'm going to do in the K5. I can't afford a doubler and don't want the weight of one but locating a 241 that will bolt behind my 465 is looking like a very daunting task.

17. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

well i ment busting shafts as in drive shafts not output shafts but anywho not important i guess.

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i ment busting shafts as in drive shafts not output shafts but anywho not important i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, YES there's a HUGE difference between those 2 scenarios. With a broken rear driveshaft, you can replace it with your trail spare (you've got one, right???) and keep on truckin', or just pull it entirely and limp home in front-wheel drive. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif If you break the output shaft of the T-case, there's liable to be other damage inside the case, like fragments... Get one decent-size metal chunk run thru the gears and kiss the entire T-case goodbye. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And even with as anal about trail spares as some people on this board are, I don't think ANYONE carries a spare T-case with them....... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif