Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slip yoke leak (help)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr. Jimmy, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Mr. Jimmy

Mr. Jimmy Registered Member

I have replaced the output seal for rear D-shaft on my 241 T-case 2 times and it still leaks. Has anyone replaced the bushing in the extension housing and had good luck with stopping the leak?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I haven't had any problems with mine, but what I have heard from others is to check the driveshaft for burrs. If it has burrs or is abrassive, no matter how new the seal is, it will chew through it - causing it to leak. Don't know if this is you problem, but maybe worth checking. Only other thing I can think is that the parts shop is giving you a seal that doesn't have a small enough I.D.

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it's the seal, sometimes they leak from the plug that is on the end of the slip yoke that connects to the drive shaft.

4. Mr. Jimmy

I bought a CV D-shaft from Arizona driveline and the slip yoke was leaking where the u joint bearing caps are, welded this and stopped leak (pressure checked)but still leaking around seal, throwing fluid on driveshaft tunnel, also checked slip yoke for burrs.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

2 more things you should check, is there a grove or a slight decrease of diameter where the seal rubs?
    And second, if you grab the yoke at the U joint and try and shove it up and down do you have any play?
    IceMan

6. Mr. Jimmy

Yes,I've got some play when moving slip yoke up and down at tailshaft extension, that's why I think the bushing may need to be replaced.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You found your answer.
    IceMan

8. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I had a similar issue with my NP241 seal leaking also. I went through all of the same motions you have, but to no avail.

I found out that the output shaft seal from the transmission was leaking and pumping fluid into the t-case. Trans a quart low, t-case overfilled after levels were squared away.

Replaced the trans seal and problem solved...

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif