Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slip yoke NP205 to fixed yoke

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wstolar, Oct 16, 2000.

1. wstolar

wstolar Registered Member

My 1985 K30 w/TH400 has NP205 with the rear slip yoke style output. How much stronger is the fixed yoke style? I'm wondering if it is worth converting to the fixed yoke style.
    No rockcrawling here, mostly mud and snow, and some heavy towing.

If I do change over to the fixed style, can I use the components from a manual style NP205? Those are much easier to come by as compared to the auto versions of the NP205.

Thanks
    Walter

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I am anxious to see some of the responses to this question.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER,</font color=red> it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You need to give more information !
    If you compare say a 78-78 vitage NP205 to a 85 NP205
    The strengh of the slip yoke rear output, compared to the fixed yoke is a toss up, the slip yoke may have a slight
    advantage in strenght.
    FYI there is more to the game than strenght.

4. wstolar

Mr. Executioner,
    What additional information is needed? I've been told that the fixed yoke style is stronger. I don't know and that is why I was inquiring about this. If you know more, could you please elaborate?
    Thanks
    Walter

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I wouldn't say it's stronger, more just a mattter of convenience on the trail. In other words, if you snap a u-joint on a fixed u-joint 205, you can just un-bolt the drive shaft and drive w/ the front wheels. On the slip yoke style t-case, if you pull the yoke, there might be some fluid loss while you drive. I don't have specs on strength, but the slip yoke style is basically the same t-case minus a fixed yoke.

BIGJ

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I converted mine by purchasing another NP205 and swapping the output shaft, end alum. piece, and yoke. If you go this route, you could put your old parts on the other 205 and sell it. Otherwise, most tranny shops and some 4x stores (like 4x Heaven) can get just the parts but the new parts could cost $150-$200. You'll also need to modify your current shaft since it will be shorter or purchase a new longer shaft with a slip. Like the other mentioned above, you can take your rear shaft off if needed. I also believe there's less stress placed that's placed on the 205 output shaft since it can now expand/collapse on the drive shaft instead of the t-case slip which is always is at an angle with the shaft. There's a few pics of mine in the 1350 CV drive shaft article on http://www.off-road.com/chevy

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

7. wstolar

Shawn or BIGJ,

My current NP205 is hooked to a TH400. If I wanted to make it into a fixed yoke, do either one of you know if I could use the parts from a standard tranny NP205?

Thanks - Walter

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

9. wstolar

Thanks Shawn. The manual ones are reasonably priced, so I'll pick one up when I find one.

Thanks again - Walter