Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slip Yoke NP205 to fixed?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 80K5, Dec 11, 2001.

1. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

How would I make my slip yoke NP205 into a fixed? Is it possible to use NP203 parts to make the NP205 fixed? and if so what parts would I need to use? Would I need to get any pieces fabricated or would it all bolt right on and lastly if none of that works are there any kits to do this that aren't all that expensive?

Stuck? Yep, I'm always stuck!
    Steve!

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I asked this some time ago. From the replys I got I would say no. The best way to do it would be get a fixed yoke 205 to convert it. Look in P/Us w/ a straight shift. I don't know if one from a Ford would work. Anyone? I think Shawn (Potent Rodent) did the fixed yoke swap. You might find the info at ORC.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

My 205 came out of an '80 Blazer, so it had that funky slip thing on it... I had a buddy swap the output shaft and convert it over to a "fixed yoke". He used parts off a Ford version 205, and the bonus was that it already had a CV output yoke on it from the Ford application.

So, I thnk any "fixed yoke" 205 will make a good donor.

Marv

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

To do the slip to fix conversion you will need a fixed output shaft (just about anyPh**d, Dodge 205 with a fixed output will do) or get in touch with 4Xheaven. You need an output shaft bearing retainer (aluminium cover) and the only part from a 203 that will fit is the output yoke. A good set of snap ring pliers and an output shaft shim kit to set the end play (0.002" to 0.027"). There is a small drain back hole that you will need to drill on the cast iron portion of the housing just under the output bearing (1/4" diameter). You can use the gasket and output bearing retainer housing for reference. The drain back hole allows relief for the gear oil and prevents it from blowing out the rear output shaft seal. Blumenthals here in OKC (Rodney) has a lot of 205 parts (new and used) 1-800-262-9557. Complete seal kit ran about $35 and a complete bearing kit went for $140. Output shaft (new from 4xheaven $245, last one they had) and output bearing retainer used for $25.