Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slip Yoke on 99 Z71 silverado

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by LA Bogger, Mar 13, 2001.

1. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Anybody have a problem with the slip yoke on there 99 Z71 Silverado Chevy???

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Never had a 99, but maybe I could help anyway. What's up?

[​IMG]

3. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

On the new 99 Silverados have slip yoke type tranfer case and driveshaft combo. When I stop at a stop sign then excelerate you can hear a sound, not a clunk or a harsh sound just a anoying sound when the slip yoke engages and puts power to the wheels. No fitting or u joints to lube ... Trying to figure out instead of going to the Chevy I want your money dealer ship....

Thank for any help

Eat More Mud!!!!

4. BIGREDMACHINE

BIGREDMACHINE Newbie

Do you have a push button t-case? If so, There is a new type of fluid for the t-case. It has a modified friction formula to let the slip yoke slip better. If you still are under warranty the dealer can take care of it for you.

5. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Is this oil new ? Thanks for the info...

Eat More Mud

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I htink it is the same as the old LSD addative. One thing the clunk may be is rearend play. My friends Dads 98 has done this since day one. The dealer said that is normal. Better be safe and have the dealer check it so it is on record though,,

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

"He who uses a winch...... Is tired of yankin!"

7. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The clunk is the output yoke binding when you brake and unbinding when you give it the gas. Fix for that is to grease the splines on the output yoke. This is only a temporary fix as Chevy has only recently figured out what to do on this. Had a 97 Tahoe that did it for 147,000 miles until we traded it in. I have a 2001 Z71 that started doing it last Nov. Chevy has a fix for this and from what I understand, it involves nickel plating the output yoke spline area. New part not yet released. Still waiting on it.