Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slip yoke sleedi sleeve?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Apr 11, 2007.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I've just replace the output seal and bushing on my NP208 - again. The bushing was actually fine. The slip yoke mic's 1.875" and is in new condition. I have a few more yokes and all appear to have radial play on the output shaft so it appears that the tolerance between the bushing and external yoke surface is too large. I've validated this before the install by examining free play between the bushing and yoke.

Q: Anyone out there found a speedi-sleeve for a standard 1.875" GM yoke? I'd need one about 4-5" long I think.:confused:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How hard is it to change the bushing? It sounds like the bushing is the issue, not the yoke. Maybe that's why so many of the 208's seem to crack the output, worn bushing leading to excess play.

I guess a speedi sleeve COULD work for your purpose, although they are designed to "true up" a seal surface, and with a slip yoke, you don't have the problem of a seal groove being cut over time like you do with fixed.

I've never heard of one as long as you are asking for, and judging by the expense of the smaller ones, it wouldn't be cheap if it is available. :(

3. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

looking for a quick fix? take the spring out of the seal lip. tighten it up a little. you'll see it's a long spring threaded into itself. make it shorter and put it back in. it'll tighten up the seal onto the shaft, and stop your leak. it was the only way i fixed my dad's jeep's slip yoke, even after a new seal, and yoke.

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Interesting idea. Thanks. I need to figure out the bushing issue first though. The radial play allowed by the sloppy fit is causing vibrations in addition the leak.

5. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

is the play in the splines? maybe you need a new output shaft. maybe a slip yoke eliminator, or just get a 205 and be done.

6. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that occured to me as well. If I could find a round pattern 205 and afford all the driveline mods I'd do it....