Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

slip yoke vibration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dunc03, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

Like many of the rest of you I have a vibration at highway speeds, but it is only really noticable when excelerating in fourth gear. I have replaced the rearend(only 1000 miles on it), transmission, and rebuilt the tcase, chain and all. I have a 700r4/208/10 bolt drivetrain. I have heard before that sometimes the vibration is caused by the slip yoke. How do I tell if the yoke has gone bad, as far as I can tell everything is fine. There are no visible crack in the yoke, or dents in the driveshaft. The splines on the shaft mesh well without much play.

It started leaking from the yoke, is this an indication that it is broke somewhere internally. Also could it possible be the front CV joint. I don't think it is because I fragged two u-joints in the rear one after another. I took it as an indication that the vibration is somewhere in the rear driveline, but I could very well be wrong. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

If you have no lift- balance the shaft and also check to make sure the snap rings are on the free caps that fit into the diff end- if your lifted it time for a c/v driveline - one more thing do your mirror's get fuzzy at all at higher speeds- ? Jess

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

slip yokes are a nightmare... i too threw $ at mine... rebalancing shaft, new joints, rebuilt tcase etc etc etc etc... the only REAL answer is to get rid of the slip yoke and install a good driveshaft like a HAD. My 208 is going away as soon as possible... the 205 is all ready to go...

as a temporary band-aid fix, you could use the factory spacers and drop the t-case an inch.

j

4. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

when you replaced the u joints did you mark the shafts and yokes because if you did not put them back on the same way then the shaft will not be balanced

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Its not a problem of broke, its more of a slip yokes don't perform well short wheelbase lifed trucks. The slip moves in a different plane than the driveshaft. You can drop the case about an inch. It helps, but you lose an inch of ground clearance. The best fix is to get rid of it, not the cheapest, though.

6. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

The truck is not lifted, it is still on the stock suspension. I do have 33's on it but I had the problem with the 31's on there also. The u-joint that was replaced between the slip yoke and the driveshaft was done by a professional mechanic, so I have no idea. I would hope that he did, but there is no telling. I replaced the u joint between the diff and the driveshaft, and I did mark it. Should I try taking out the ujoint at the yoke and flipping the shaft 180 degrees? Thanks for all the help and ideas.

7. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, the mirrors really don't vibrate at high speeds. The vibration is only really noticable when you are accelerating in fourth gear. THe vibration is not bad enough to vibrate the mirrors, but I don't wnat to do damage to the diff or t-case. It is noticable when cruising at a constant speed, but it goes away when you let off the accelerator. The snap rings are on. Thanks again

8. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

THAT'S the info i needed thanks -balance the shaft its pretty cheap - and may fix your problem- Jess

9. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

iwould flip it 180 just to see it cant hurt

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, yeah, I know, digging up an old post.

I've found that replacing the bushing in the tailcone solved my problem with vibrations.

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I think Im goin to need to do the same thing here soon. I have a vibe at 60-65 and it leaks ATF out the tailshaft even with new seals. Is it a hard job to do or should I take it to the trans shop?

12. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem. The mainshaft in the transfer case was bent. Before i found the problem, it cracked my transmission housing and the slip yoke housing extension on the transfer case. All the transmission fluid left through the crack. That was pretty expensive. I replaced the mainshaft myself.

I found the problem by lifting the rear tires off the ground (using jackstands) and putting the truck in drive. Watching the slip yoke oscillate within and flexing the extension housing, it was clear that the mainshaft was bent.