Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slip Yoke?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by roadrage, Dec 14, 2000.

1. roadrage

roadrage Registered Member

How do you stop a yoke from leaking at the pressed in plug on the end? Thanks for any help.

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

put a new seal in

Doug Krebs

3. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

you must have the 82 up type rig- they leaked from the factory sometimes- you would do your self a favor buy a new one this is the easist way- they run 118.00 from the gm dealer- i can sell you a brand new one for 80.00$- give me a call- 530-872-5725- ask for jess if your interested-

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You talking about the seal inside the t-casr where the slip yoke slides in the rear? IF so I just found mine was leaking as well. $110 ????? For a seal???

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

No, I believe Jesse is talking about the slip yoke itself.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, when I pulled my Shaft to get a new one made I noticed that there was t-fluid on the lower side of the yoke and all over the under carriage. So Im thinking output seal on the t-case is gone or do I need to inspect the sela on the yoke itself? I didn't know there was a seal on the yoke itself. Please master Emmett, enlighten me.

7. Emmettology 101

Master Emmett, dont make me laugh! :)

I have heard about htis a few times, but never encountered a seal on the slipyoke(mine hasn't leaked, but my seal does so maybe I am missing the other leak)

But I believe that is what Jesse and the others are talking about, I think there is something on the inside of the slipyoke(where the splines are) that goes out ot where the u-joint is. I have never looked, but the next time I have a chance I will....
    Sorry i am not that much help!

"I have let you down, Daniel Son!" [​IMG]

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thats cool. My wife is a big Dallas Cowboys fan and wants to know if you got the name Emmett from Emmett Smith?

9. Emmettology 101

Yuk! :) Sorry.. No, an ex girlfriend came up with it back when I first bought my Jimmy in 1993. Not sure where she got it from, but it stuck! :) Funny thing is all most all my friends call my Jimmy, Emmett! It has its own personality and everything and its like the Grandfather of our club since I bought it when we started and have had it ever since... ALmost everyone else has bought a different vehicle since the beginning, but not me! I will have Emmett until I die! LOL

BTW, I am a Vikings fan! :)

Mike [​IMG]

10. drivelineman

Yes its common to leak there - right by the u joint the plug that's hard to see - everyone thinks its the seal when its the plug most of the time- jess

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've got the same problem-the slipyoke itself is what leaks. What I'm going to do is thoroughly clean the "new" one I got, lightly chuck it in my vise pointing straight up, and VERY CAREFULLY pour in enough epoxy-type substance to coat the "bottom" of the shaft, avoiding the splines. Let it cure for a couple days, and Presto!, no more leak. Should work well.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Jarhead, are you talking about plugging the hole in the end of the slip joint? If so, ya don't want to do that. There needs to be a hole there so pressure doesn't build up in the joint as it moves in and out. Without that hole you'll get a vacuum in the void as the joint slips out and then pressure as it slips back together.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

13. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

i've done what jarhead is talking about. no problems with "suction" (the slip yoke doesn't move that far in and out). no more leak either. did it back in the summer in sunny southern texas and am now in chilly indiana with still no problem (i was a little worried about expansion and contraction with temperature). 4.00 for some jb weld, some sandpaper, and a few hours cure time. works like a champ!! good luck.

EODBRIAN

14. drivelineman

Harry - this is true on some but not this type it has a blind spline in it for oil return - the prob. is the back plug and how it is sweated in from the factory its hard to get them to not leak- jesse

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hey EODBRIAN, haven't seen you for a while. I have to give the credit for "my" idea to him, he's the one who suggested it to me in the first place! I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!