Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slipped to the dark side...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Jul 31, 2005.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:eek1: :eek1:

That's right, we now own a mini-van...something I swore up and down that would never happen. It's an '02 Montana and it had 54,000 miles on it when we got it.

The best part of the deal was unloading our 88 XJ in trade, even though they gave us next to nothing for it.

Most surprising is that I actually like this thing. It actually gets great fuel mileage too. 19.6 mpg straight city driving, and 28.1 mpg straight freeway...

While shopping for the Jeeps replacement I slowly came to the conclusion that SUV's were way out of my comfort zone as far as purchase price went.

This ran us about 1/2 what an '02 ish Durango was gonna cost us and is roomier and more practical. Let's face it, even if we had gone with a Durango the 4 wheel drive would never have gotten used enough to justify having. We average maybe one or two 'snow days' per winter, and my wife doesn't 'wheel'.

Rene

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

a mini-van...do we get shots of you driving it? :D

Just kidding-congratrs Rene

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

When I'm gonna drive 20+ miles one way, I take the wifes Astro van. 20+ MPG @ $2.35 a gallon... as oposed to maybe 10 MPG in the blazer. Call me what you will but I won't see you at the pump.

4. tRustyK5

Yeah, the fuel mileage is a nice bonus...I really didn't reseach EPA numbers until after we bought it.

For comparison, our 88XJ averaged 13.6 mpg mixed driving... :eek1: :haha:

My Jimmy got better mileage than the Jeep did...I just hate wearing the TSL's out on the road so I try not to drive it too much.

Rene

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

present day "SUVs" are no different from an AWD minivan as far as I can tell. Yes, they sorta sit higher... but lame plastic cladding and flimsy running boards tend to piss that 'advantage' away. What you are left with is a car that gets crappy gas mileage, costs to much and isn't especially capable offroad. My mom has a late 90s chrysler minivan and that thing hauls. Has no problem going over 100 mph... not that I would know of course...

plenty of room for a chit load of grocieries from Costco and a small army of kids too. SUVs? they died years ago.

j

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

MINIVAN, BOOO

sas f&r, 37" mtrs i think would be a nice mod for it

7. google

google 1/2 ton status

yeah, I have a 95 dodge caravan. They do haul butt too. Wouldn't trade it for anything...... cept maby another blazer.... but I like my minivan. just needs a TV now.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

PHEW!

....For a minute there I thought you were going "Truggy". :D

I'm relieved.

:usaflag: <- I'd put a Canada flag, but there isn't one.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

my mother has a dodge mini van (hell who doesent these days) and it hauls ass!

and i have been thinking of one too espesaly with christina haveing to take diesel around places she need one.

hummm maybe a nice crew cab!!!!

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Looks like a pretty spiffy parts hauler to me. :D

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Where's the mandatory soccerball magnet thats supposed to be on the back?? ;) :haha:

Looks nice!!! :thumb:

12. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

"Slipped" to the dark side? How bout "Painfully faceplanted into" the dark side :D

Congrats. Practicality usually needs to come before style :waytogo:

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

So its a mini-van!--So what??

I enjoy driving my mom's 93 Dodge Caravan--I thought I'd feel "dorky" in it,but I like the 20+mpg,comfortable ride,and the room inside--for a "mini" van,you can stuff a lot of things in it,and it goes right along with a 3.0 V6..

The poor thing has 62,000 miles on it--only things ever replaced so far are the tires (2 sets,last one dry rotted from lack of use more than they wore out!)..an altenator "serpentine" belt,and a new battery!(original "Mopar" battery lasted 11 years--one day it would not start,so she bought a new one,and I threw the Mopar battery in MY truck and got ANOTHER year out of it!.. :eek1: Its had new brakes all around,front rotors,but thats about it!..

It has never had a tune up,gas filter,or any other work--its due for one though,its starting to skip,and you can hear noises in the radio from the OEM plug wires!..it really started showing its age the past few months--the paint is finally peeling off the roof(was mint until this sumer) and the doors are all bubbled up and rotted on the bottoms--the gas tank looks ripe too,and all the struts and shocks are ready for replacement too...but for a vehicle thats been pretty much neglected,other than regular oil changes,its held up very well--I would not mind owning a Caravan like it--though the newer ones are a bit "spaceship" in appearance..

I like your Pontiac !!...I think you will love it--it takes awhile to overcome the stereotype of the minivan,but once you do,I think you'll like it.. I like the FWD in the Caravan,I've taken it thru some drifts I thought it would never go thru during a few blizzards,and it never got stuck once--had to "rock" it a few times once when I went over a snowbank,but no tow truck needed!...

I thought when you said you went "Over to the DARK side", I thought you meant you bought a FORD!! :eek1: :doah: :D :crazy: ...at LEAST its a GM!! :laugh: :haha:

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

can't call names here - I've been looking at one also. My wifes expedition gets slightly better mileage than the space shuttle.

15. tRustyK5

:haha: :haha:

That's funny stuff right there!! I think the Durango my wife wanted would have gotten similar mileage.

One of the only reasons I would have tolerated the mileage of a V-8 powered SUV would be if it was capable of towing our 21 foot trailer. The Montana certainly won't do that, but a pop-up may be in the future. We'll see, gotta get this thing paid off first.

Rene

16. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I cant say anything, the wifes on her 2nd Caravan, 1st was used we got the '03 with 2 miles on it, the only complaint I have is how fast they depreciate. I actually bout the Suburban for her to drive and I was going to take the van because of mileage but she didnt want to trade. She hardly puts any miles on it, it's only got 16,000 on it and its been to NC 4 times. Ive put 10k on the burb since christmas. I'd rather have the 25 mpg than the 15 but what am i gona do.

17. tRustyK5

No truggy for me Greg!! That would put me solidly in "Tow Rig land" and I can't afford that, and don't have the room for that either. My jimmy has to remain street legal for at least a few more years. :D

Rene

18. tRustyK5

The depreciation makes them affordable while they're still pretty new though...

There are tons of 'lease returns' for sale that came back after 24 or 36 month leases. Most people take decent care of a lease so they don't get dinged when they bring em back, plus the mileage is limited so they're not 'high milers' for their age.

Rene

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

We have a '99 Montana, and I *LOVE* it. It doesn't really feel like it has much power (I think because I baby it too much, it can roar if I have to get on it), but it's great on gas, ultra comfortable, and ridiculously easy to drive. Not to mention the cargo space... It's not really slow, either. We pushed well over 90 for a lot of our Florida trip last May. If my wife wasn't with me, I'm sure it could break 100 without a thought.

We just took it camping this weekend, and I kinda think I'd rather have it for a trip like that than a K5 or truck. It's just so freakin easy to open the back and do stuff than to hassle with a truck or a high tailgate.
    We're looking into a popup to tow with it also (my '99 can tow 3500lbs, btw/fyi).

We drove it to florida, too, and by the time we got there, all I had to do was get out and stretch a little and I feel like I just drove a couple hours instead of 2 days. Nothing else we've ever taken on a trip has been as comfortable, and it's comfortable for the kids, too.

I've actually thought about getting another one, pre-96 Chryslers are dirt cheap and abundant now, but I just bought a motorcycle, so I think I have to lay low with the "I want a"'s for a while... I don't know about other models, but I really like the Montana. Pontiac did a nice job with this minivan.

20. tRustyK5

I was thinking about you when I was test driving the Montana Ratch...I remembered you had somewhat recently bought one. The only known problem I see come up on a few BB's out there is intake gaskets, usually caused by loose bolts. Heard mention of wiper problems too...

Seen a couple of people have transaxle failures, but in all honesty I've seen mention of that with every mini-van out there to some degree or another. I think overall the GM transaxles are better than average. The 4T65 in the Montana is also used in the Grand Prix's and a few others. The performance version in some of those cars does have some heavier duty parts though. As with everything how it's driven and looked after makes a big difference. I also drive ours pretty mellow.

It's not slow IMO, but it does lack the bottom end grunt I'm so used to with my truck.

How many miles does your 99 have on it?

Rene