Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slipping Out of 4 Wheel Drive

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIGBIRD, Jul 31, 2003.

1. BIGBIRD

BIGBIRD Registered Member

I've got a '75 Blazer whith what I believe to be the stock transfer case, has a slip joint in the drive shaft, anyway when you start bouncing around a little she slips out of 4 wheel drive. In both hi and low. Are there any adjustments that can be made, of am I headed for a rebuild ?

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Is your body rusted up and flexing on the frame? If your body mounts are bad and the blazer tub gets rocking around, it can pop it outta gear.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The shifting forks are probably bad. thats kinda weird it slips out of 4 low, that is a pretty stiff gear. Mine slips out of 4 hi only when things get bumpy. Mine is an np208 and may be different inside than your 203 though. You are looking at a rebuild, sorry.

85k5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What part of NC you coming from maybe one of us NCK5ers can swing by and help ya...

5. BIGBIRD

Wilmington. Use it mainly on the beach but get in the mud some.

6. BIGBIRD

It will stay in 4 wheel if I keep light pressure on the shifter. Could it be that i'm not getting it all the way ingaged since both the high and low 4 wheel selections are at opposite ends of the shift pattern. Is the shifter adjustable at all ?

7. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

If you have a body lift the shifter will hit against the floorboard popping it out of gear. Pull the cover off the shifter and see how close it is to the floorboard. If it's hitting then you need to cut some sheetmetal.

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Mine did this on a club run of ours awhile back. Rob and I spent like and hour digging out tree limbs and mud and debris from under the truck and the lubed the linkage back up. seems to work. I do have a body lift and had to cut a small channel for the shifter.