Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slipyoke leak, part 2

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Nov 24, 2001.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Wow, been a little while since I was here...

Anyhoo, I finally replaced my rear driveshaft and slipyoke, and now my T-case leak has gone from a few drops a day to 1 quart a week! I replaced the T-case rear output seal when I installed the "new" slipyoke (used grease inside the seal runner, little silicone around the OD of the seal), and now it seems to be leaking from the sealing surface itself. I did have to clean up the shaft portion of the slipyoke due to some light rust, but there's no pitting or grooving. Other than replacing the seal again, anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

"...For the land of the free, and the home of the brave"

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Inside the slip yoke of the driveshaft isn't it supposed to be epoxied or something?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

If you still have the 208, check the rr ext bushing or the plug on the slip yoke .The plug on mine came out and spewed fluid
    all over.-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

haha yeah check the plug on the slipyoke , i popped a couple out whiilst airing my truck out ! muhuahah it should be sealed compeltely , i had mine brazed back on and i also put a new one on , othersa spare now, but now i am going to a fixed out put ... eh well ...

dents ....
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, some clarification:
    I JB Welded the outside of this slipyoke where the "plug" is, and the inside of the shaft at the very bottom. This slipyoke is well-sealed, and it's no longer the source of the leak. My old one had that leak...
    My new leak is at the output seal of the case. It's leaking FROM THE SEAL, around the shaft portion of the slipyoke, as if the shaft diameter was too small for the seal to do it's job. I didn't think I took too much material off when I cleaned up the shaft, but I suppose it could have been borderline-undersize before I took the rust off. Or the seal could be a piece of crap.
    Does NAPA or someone else make one of those "speedy-sleeve" things for a T-case slipyoke? What does installing one of those things involve? Thanks.

Ken

<font color=blue>America--Land of the Free, Home of the Brave<font color=black>