Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

slipyolk cv shaft $$?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Jul 7, 2001.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i know i should do a 205 conversion but i really like the low range on my 241plus it is newly rebuilt w/ a 40k warrr. the tail shaft conversion is way $$$. when you let off the gas on my blaze it starts saying things that would make a sailor blush, ive batteled this problem for 2 yrs. now, rebuilt the t- case ( for no reason, did'nt help) rebuilt the 12 bolt, got rid of blocks for a shaclke flip, lengthened/shortened drive shaft, tried traction bars and tried different shim angles. i dont know what else to do. i heard of the c.v. slip yolk drive shaft, is there any donor vehichle that would have somthing like this that i could use atleast part of the keep the cost down? or how much is a new one? thx--j.c.

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I've heard of guys using ones out of Caddys or something, but I say to heck w/ that. I'm pretty tired of trudging and wasting weekends going through our picked clean salvage yards... I got mine from Tom Wood's driveshaft for $325 shipped to my door. Jess also makes one ton shafts at High angle. I would personally go w/ the tailshaft conversion kit though... waiting for one for my 208.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Jesse won't make you a slip yoke CV shaft. He doesn't feel it's reliable so he won't put his name on it or sell it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you sure that Jesse has stopped selling them?

A monthe ago, I had one scheduled but after talking with everyone I will be going with the slip eliminator for the 241.
    Do it once and never have to worry.

Dave

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

5. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Been there done that! The only way you will make it right is with a cvshaft. There are quite a few places to get them it just depends on what you want to pay. The cv shaft is the only way to get your k5 to shut up. I got mine from high angle. I believe Tom Woods sells a cv shaft that is very stout yet affordable for most. Good Luck.

6. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

whats unreliable about a c.v. shaft?

7. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

does anybody know anything else on this caddy shaft captcrunch is talking about??

8. 2Dogs

It is the CV joint that they use when you don't go the SYE and 1 ton stuff (I think).
    Jesse has a few recent posts with explanations on this exact subject.

Dave

9. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I used a caddy driveshaft a few years ago on a 90K5 that I had, after putting in a D-60/14bolt-4:10gear and lifting it 2 1/2" I had some vibration starting around 50mph.I tried everything to get rid of it, took the 1350 shaft that I had shortened and balanced back twice to check and it still was there. Got a caddy shaft from the junkyard and had it shortened and balanced with the 1350 end on it,also had a 6degree shim made and put it in the spring pack.After all that work it now vibrated at 60mph and I lived with it until I sold the Blazer about a year later, also I dislike longtail transfers in short wheelbase trucks.
    The bad part about those caddy shafts is the lenght of the slip, they are alot shorter than the truck shafts and to make matters worse if you look in the end the splines dont even start until like half way down so you end up with very little spline contact.Not a very good thing for wheeling but would probably be OK for street driving.
    RGF

10. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

thx for the reply, could you put the stock slip end on the caddy shaft w/a bastard u-joint?

11. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Just contact Jesse, at High Angle Driveline and get a slip yoke eliminator kit, then you can run a one ton CV.
    forwhlr@saber.net or call him at 530-877-2875

Jeff427
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddog.off-road.ws>Mud Dog Off Road Club</A>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://lyonsdesign.bizhosting.com>Lyons Design Web Site</A>

12. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

You cant put the stock slip on the CV caddy shaft, completely different set-up.I know your trying to save some bucks, arent we all but the right way to solve your problem will cost some $$$.
    RGF

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My dad has been driving/modding caddy limo's all my life. He just recently retired his last one, but has tons of parts.

The limo driveshafts are super long and have cv joints in the middle. I was thinking about looking into one of these for my truck. My objective would be to have as much slip-yoke inside the t-case as possible with room for flex, then down to the rear via CV joint. I guess I'll still look at it, but with less hope than before, after reading this post. Bummer.

Capt, was it you that said you put a new slip yoke on and it was a huge difference in clunk?

Ratch
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

14. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

How much money/work does it take for a slip yolk eliminator for a 241?

CB

15. 2Dogs

-Complete tear down of the 241
    -SYE kit
    -new driveline

so - labor on an app 4-8 hour job plus the parts (call your preferred dl manufacturer for that)

Mine is being done so I can give you some real numbers in a few weeks.

Dave

16. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Slip yoke eliminator from jb conversions was $325.00 w/no yoke yoke was 69.00 from denny's driveshaft.com , rear cv shaft from denny's (very reputable) was $325.00 . Totally eliminated my vibes!!! fixed yoke now , no leaks! Check out Denny's site though! SYE kit took me 3 hours total from time I drove in the garage til the time I drove out! Shaft too!! Good Quality stuff all around and am very happy with !

17. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

dang! that SYE change-over sounds a little too far out of my budget right now. However, I am getting ready to put a 8" lift on and was checking out the driveline places like Denny's and Tom Woods, and High Angle. In ya'lls opinion, which one of these shops would be my best bet if i were to go with a CV driveshaft with the slip yolk? Or, do ya'll think i really should wait and do the 241 SYE conversion?
    'Thanks
    CB

18. 2Dogs

Do the conversion. Every reason to do it other than high $$$$.

Don't know the other shops but Jesse at highangle is cool and contributes here on these forums.

Dave

19. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Yes it's kind of pricey$$ , but you gain 6" extra length in shaft , if you break a joint or damage a shaft , you can remove it and drive on just the front (hell I did for 2 weeks after installing the kit!!) and gets rid of that damn slip yoke!! i just think those things are trouble , I tried for 3 years to get rid of my vibes , and got close, but NONE with the kit!

1991 Fullsize 5 1/2"lift, 37"ssr's,10Bolt8 lug , 14Bolt ff, 4:56 Detroit rear, 12"fr. 14"r Bilstein remote res.350 P.F.I , 700r4 , 241c W/ sye

20. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

[censored] that over $700 worth of work!!!! i could just swap in a 205