Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slop in rear diff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHINTON, Jul 1, 2002.

1. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, my buddy was helping me put on new rear brakes yesterday and pointed something out to me. With both tires off the ground, when turning the wheel, I would turn it several inches before the other side would 'engage' and start turning in the opposite direction.

He said that there was 'slop' if you will in the diff, so my question is how normal is this? I was really hoping to see both wheels turn in the same direction aka a locker but no such luck...

If the slop is/could be an issue, would installing a LockRight in the rear fix this issue as well? I am seriously considering putting one in this summer, the rear is a Corp 12 bolt, this is a 72 Jimmy. I have no idea what the gear ratio is...

Sam Hinton

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The slop you are talking about should have to do with the ring and pinion gears. A lock-right would not fix the problem. It's probably just from age and the gears are getting wore. You would need new gears to solve the problem. But I would suggest taking the cover off the diff and checking it out, it could be something else.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I wouldn't let the slop bother you yet. Like in the previous post, pull the cover and look at the gears. The place you will want to check for slop is at the pinion yoke. Feel for the slop by softly rocking the pinion back and forth and carefully feel the slop between the ring & pinion. When you feel for it at the wheel, this is the most exagerated place to feel it. Here you will be feeling the normal gear slop as well as axle spline slop (from normal wear), THEN it's amplified by diameter of the tire. There will appear to be more slop at the outer perimeter of the tire than there actually is. For example, when holding the tire at the tread your hand may rotate a few inches when the axle hub may only be moving a 1/4 or 1/2 inch.

Dont let this scare you, have someone help you look closer at the actual play between the r&p. By the way, lockers by nature have a lot of play. If you install a Detroit, Lock Right, etc. the feel will most likely get worse even though everything is in good shape.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my 12 bolt is getting sloppy too so im replacing it with a 14 bolt.haha /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My 12 bolt does the same thing. It's normal in older difs. If it reallt bothers you, ya may want to consitter swaping in a 14 bolt FF rear end. I'm plannning on one in the near future. I'm saveing up to do it with the 6 to 8 lug conversion up front