Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slotted mag wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Highlander, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Morning all how's the head? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    I'm getting two 15x10 8 lug wheels that look like these Slotted mag wheels Has anyone seen or has any of these or know of a place I can find some Doctor4x4 has two more but they are 16.5x10 and I just don't know about them I've heard not a lot of good about them. Or would that work? I'll be putting in a 14b in the back and instead of using an adaptor to keep my 6 lug wheels I'll just put the 8 lug stuff on my 44.
    I went though ebay and couldn't find the right size. Any ideas out there?

Eric

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'll be very surprised if you can get those to fit on a 4WD disc brake front axle. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I wonder what the original application was? Perhaps an old 4-wheel drum brake application, or maybe a 2WD 3/4-ton? It takes a considerable amount of grinding to get steel 15x10's to fit an 8-lug Dana 44. Those cast aluminum wheels are a much thicker material, so grinding off enough material to clear them could compromise the strength of the calipers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Highlander

well maybe I should go with the 16.5x10's /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif damn why do these projects have to be a pain in the ass!!!
    I was planning on using the 15's for the back till I got around to doing the front. Hell I mite have to get the other set as well.
    Thanks Harry

Eric

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I would either go with steel 15 inchers (what I just did to my 3/4-ton K5) or 16 inchers in either steel or aluminum (I put 16 inch aluminum on my 3/4-ton 'burb). 16.5's are just too much arrgravation for serious rockcrawling. I just recently sold a set of 16.5x9.75 slotted mags, similar to the ones you pictured, due to the "no safety bead" issue. My 35 inch BFG Muds would literally fall off the wheels if I let the pressure down below about 22 lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif A less pliable tire, like some of the bias-ply swampers, might not be as prone to becoming unseated.

15 inch tires are much more plentiful in large sizes. 16 inchers are becoming available in larger sizes, but they also cost more than their 15 inch counterparts. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. Highlander

What a pain this is becoming, But thats part of the fun /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Well I guess I could just get the two and when I get ready to do the front I'll run down to performance tire and wheel and do some trading. Those Slotted mag's or about the only wheel I've liked for years I had a set on my 76 1/2ton PU they looked great with the 35's

Eric

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A friend of mine has those kind of slots rims on his 84 3/4 Ton Chevy 4X4 truck.

7. Highlander

Could you me a favor talk to him about those wheels and get a good look at them for me? I wonder what size he's running

Thanks Eric