Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slow crank, no start.. battery or starter??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Oct 17, 2005.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

well in the '87 ive had a couple problems recently, sometimes she cranks right over and fires up, other times it's really slow and wont start. the battery was in it when i bought it (3.5 years ago) and i replaced the starter maybe 2 years ago. so what do you all think?? does a starter crank slow when it's bad/going bad?? thanks..

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

take the battery and have it tested most parts houses will do it free and with it in the blazer

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

same thing just happened to me about 3 weeks ago, thought i may have had a bad starter, then found the battery wasn't fully charged, thought it was the alternator, it tested good, so i had the battery tested and it came back with a bad cell, would start right up sometimes, others it would crank over very slowly like a bad connection.

and thats about the average life of a battery also, about 2-3 years,

not saying they WON'T last longer, so don;t everybody start crying, "mines been in there for 5 years" as i said, it's just the "average"

here in Arizona, you're lucky if you have a battery last much more than 3 years... :crazy:

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's happened to me once on my '93 and once on my '89, my '93 had a bad cell in the battery and the '89 had a bad starter...have one or the other bench tested would be my only advice.

5. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

could be corroted cables too