Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slow Down!!!!!! & Front floor rot.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Aug 31, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cripes, a couple days on vacation and I've missed a billion posts!

Does anyone else have any holes rotted in the floor in the front directly below the e-brake release? I pulled my carpet up the other night to run some cable through, and found a nice big hole on that side, that I can't seem to see from underneath. This is pretty irritating, it actually looks kinda structural, not just weld in sheetmetal to fix. Anybody have this?

This hole was totally hidden by the carpet and trim. To me, it's a new place to check when looking at "no-rust" k5's for sale...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You can't see that from underneath because the body mount support is there...

My personal opinion on 'Rust-free' K5's is that the entire carpet should be pulled as well as most interior panels. by the time you have a hole thats visible its already bad...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

yeah, it totally sucks. The rest of the truck is in decent shape, though, not a lot of external rot. I was just getting ready to start attacking the bed rot, and then I discover this friggin hole. Almost discouraging enough to start looking for a new K5.... Not enough money, though...

Ratch

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I hate to 'burst the bubble' newyorkin [​IMG] but if you've found that hole like Rene said; you're in worse shape than you think! If it's anything like mine; I thought I had a "clean" body too until I gutted the interior!!! [​IMG] I even laughed at Neil Pickett's article on the rear crossmember thinking "...ha! ha!, mine's in good shape!" My entire rear is gone, the rear cab frame where the seatbelts mount is gone, &amp; both front floors are rotten in the crease where your foot rests when you're driving! [​IMG][​IMG] I hope yours isn't that bad but my exterior still looks good with little to no rust!!!

Good luck

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

5. tRustyK5

I think the first mod to any used K5 should be gutting the interior...only after you have done that will you have any true idea of its condition rust wise. My truck looked 'cherry' when I bought it...a year later I removed the carpet and almost died of shock!

Rene

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Join the rust ridden club. We should make a sub CK5 group made up of the rusty k5 owners. AAaahhh I can see it all now, pages and pages of people's rusty trucks, rust repair articles, etc etc. Could be a possibility.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

7. Brian 89KBlazer

The rusty K5 division of CK5 with tRusty as VP!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

8. tRustyK5

The rusty K5 poster boy...[​IMG]

You know its getting worse when you slam the door and flakes and chunks fall off of your truck...

Rene

9. Thought I was the only one that needed eye protection under my truck just for the falling rust flakes!!!
    My body mounts are actually coming through the front floor, on both sides! I can feel every bump, it actually raises my foot while offroading.
    As far as the rust club? I'm in!

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Nahh!!! [​IMG] Come up here where the salt is in the air from the ocean &amp; on the roads all winter long!! I disassembled most of my undercarriage by hand!!! The exhaust was already in pieces for me. A little tug &amp; presto, no cat-back!!![​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The kRust club! Membership starting at a just couple flakes!

I just waxed and washed the truck 2 weeks ago, and had/have her looking really nice... But she's dying from the inside out...

The exterior is in great shape. I know the tailpan is Holy... I thought the rest of the front of the body was ok (there's a little under the driver's seat I already knew about)... I'm afraid to pull any more carpet up...

How do I fix this???

Ratch

12. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised to find "only" some surface rust on the floor of my truck in the area you mentioned. I bought my in New Braunfels, Texas and it was in good shape with minimal rust. After gutting my interior (as we all should), I coated my floor with Corroless and it has held up quite well. I recommend this to anyone. Just cut out the uglier rust spots.

"Constipated people don't give a crap!"

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yep same place on mine about the size of a football, I fabbed in a new floor pan and she's as good as new now, if I could just find some leather seats my interior would be done...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You know its getting worse when you slam the door and flakes and chunks fall off of your truck...

<hr></blockquote>

I used to work with an outfit that had a nice (looking) mid-80's Ramcharger - One day the boss slammed the driver's door and a big 1-1½" thick chunk of Bondo, about the size of a football fell off of the door - "cave and pave" bodywork at it's finest[​IMG]

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>