Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slow electric windows

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Apr 12, 2001.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

I want to lube my tracks. What are the steps to getting to the tracks on the door windows? Anyone done this lately...and is it o.k. to use lith grease or do I need to use something else?

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd probably use lithium grease or something like lubriplate.(water resistant, kind of thin, shouldn't gum up) All you really have to do is take the door panel off and roll the window up and down...the track that you grease is right underneath the window, and moves. There are rollers that ride in the track, these sometimes wear out or break also.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

also spray the felt window guids with white (teflon) oops not teflon i meant GRAPHITE spray NOT TEFLON spray SORRY. you can get black or gray but white works best and that helps a lot

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mudhog on 04/12/01 03:00 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Clean the track out when you take off the door panel. Mine on my passenger side would stick and I'd have to yank it up by hand. I took off the panel and the crud in the track was nasty! I cleaned it out and greased it and it works soooo much better now. [​IMG]

Stephanie
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    "What if the hokey pokey is what it's all about?"

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    The window slides in filt channels on each side of the door. The can slipp out of position and bundle upp towards the bottom. These doors are windy and leaky. rainwater runs right on the regulator and sahs-channels. Road dust and grime gets in there and makes a sirupy mess of everything. I sugest a disassembly, de-greasing and regreasing.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com</A>

6. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone. I haven't gotten to it yet but saturday morning looks like a goody to me. I'll let you know what happens.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

7. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Well...I lubed them up real good but it didn't seem to make a noticable difference. They work but I thought they'd be faster.

8. cederic

cederic Registered Member

Just went thru the same thing with my 85. I took it apart, cleaned it, re-lubed it with white lithium grease and reassembled.
    Better, but not quite right.
    So I spent $42 per door and replaced the motors. I guess all
    of the work those motors put out trying to push thru the old grease and dirt just wore them out. Mine had some definate signs of overheating because the wire coupling was melted a little bit.
    Spend the money the first time you take it apart I guess.
    The drivers side took me about an hour to do. The passenger side only took me about 40 min. Of course I did all the cleaning on the passenger side the first time I took it apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you call a fly after you pull off it's wings ?
    A WALK...ahhehe

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I went ahead and cleaned mine out this weekend, what a difference!! I used some silicone grease on the rollers and lubed everything. Man, I never thought I would get those windows to work! Thanks for the post guys! I called my brother out so that he could witness it, he couldn't believe that he wouldn't have to actually pull his window up anymore by hand!! ha,ha

Thanks again!

10. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

My windows almost made me cry this weekend. If ya'll read my previous posts you know that the wires were breaking off of the little clips that go on the terminals. We'll i looked every where for the clips and couldn't find them, so i decided to just solder the wires on there and use bullet connectors for the disconnect. So it worked good except that i must have melted something in the passenger side of the switch because it doesn't work at all now. I am so frustrated. So i know i can get a new switch at the dealer, but i need the harness with all the little clips in it. Any one know where i can get these cheap??? Or at all??? Thanks - Doug

Doug Krebs