Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

slow intermitent leak in tire

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Any suggestions on what to do about a slow leak. I can fill it up and it'll last 2 weeks, come out in the morning and it's half flat. I can't find anything stuck in the tire. I wiggle and jerk the valve stem around expecting to hear air but nothing. Put spit on the valve core hoping to see bubles, nothing. It's starting to piss me off. I kinda hate to dump the fix-a-flat stuff in it but you think that's my best bet?

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have some "foreign matter" (dirt) on the bead of the rim. Spray some soapy water around the inside and outside beads. I had the same problem.

John

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have a friend who had a crack in one of his rims, it was very small but big enough to let the air out. His tire would also go flat after a couple of weeks. I don't know what kind of rims you have but if they are steel I doubt this would be the case.

4. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Use SkulznBonz idea around the base of the valve stem also, I have had leaks at both the bead and the valve stem (not the core). Most often after a good muddin' trip. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i had a small crack in my tire. went out one morning and it was totally flat. so i have new tires coming this saturday

NITRO

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I would put the whole tire in a big wated tank and look for bubles. You can do it with a small sprinkler, but sometimes you miss a spot.
    The thig is, a small leak sometimes stops depending on the position of the tire, and when you drive it and park it in a differnt position it will leak fast.

7. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think the bubbles trick will work because it seems it seals for a week or two then goes to about 5psi in a day or so. It's intermittant. I will look for debris around the bead though.

8. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

you might want to also check the valve (or whatever it's called) in the valve stem? i've seem them come a little lose and leak air! i think they sell a little tool (like a cap) that you can tighten it with at a parts store.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had the same problem with a tire on my S-Jimmy. The guys at Discount Tire put it in the water tank and couldn't see any bubbles. They took the tire off the rim and smeared both beads with some seam sealer goop, then remounted the tire. It hasn't leaked since. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Make a mental note where the tire is when it goes flat. Like where the valve stem is or where certain words are, anything to get a reference. Next time it goes flat Ill bet its near the same place. I had a set of Mudders that did the same thing. I could drive on them all I wanted, park at work or home and nothing. Sometimes it would be flat. I thought someone was playing games w/ me. I started making note of a refence when it was flat and found it to be in near the same place everytime. When it was parked on that spot it must have opened a pinhole crack or something and let air escape.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

That is what I was saying but you explained it better, and it's happened to me a lot, and 2 reasons:
    Either it's the bead, and it's always been something like sand or dirt stuck there so when the position was right it would leak.
    The other was a very small pinhole that I could only find when I inflated it to 40 PSI, and the reason it didn't always leak was that sometimes it would be flat on the ground so PLUGGED.
    But most of the times, it's the bead, so pop the beads off brush some soap or some oil on and then reseat, should work.

12. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem. It was a bad valve stem. I took it to Kauffman Tire (not sure if they're in your area or not) and they fixed it for free. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif