Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slow or fast

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blazer350, Aug 18, 2002.

1. 85blazer350

85blazer350 Registered Member

All my friends have 5.0 mustangs,and an 89 chev stepside dropped with a beefed up 350 and thats about it. My question is how fast will mt blazer be becuase i have never even drove a blazer piriod.Its got a 14 bolt rear 4.56 and 35inch super swampers and a 350 done up to about 300 horse the rear end dosent have possi or a locker but was just wondering if it could keep up to any stock trucks or cars, because all mt friend say it will be as slow as a turtle with the big tires its also got a nonlockup 700-r4 with a high stall cheater torq converter.

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Look at it this way... its a truck, not a race car. Nuff' said... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

3. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

I used to have a video of a 2nd generation chevy truck w/at LEAST a 6-8" lift and 38" ground hawgs at the track running a 12 with the ground hawgs, then another video of it running like a high 11 with slicks...lol dunno how though...

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> That truck was pushing over 500hp from a big block, if it's the one that I'm thinking of. There are some videos of it here

85 Blazer, if you want to go fast, you purchased the wrong vehicle. </font color>

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

how good are their cars at trail riding?

6. 85blazer350

85blazer350 Registered Member

Thats what I said but that we should race on a bumpy gravel road.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

or in the snow

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You have to remember too that 5.0 Mustangs are about the most over-rated performing car ever. If you work on them, they can be real fast, but stock they are like 16-second cars.

If you want to race cars, make sure it's all low-speed stuff. With 4.56 gears and your low 1st gear and high torque multiplication converter, you should be able to get the truck off the line respectably. Will you beat the cars? Probably not. But it shouldn't be embarassing. Just stay away from anything over 45mph or the K-5 aero-dog-namics will take over.

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Tweak your Quadrajet so if you breathe on the accelerator the secondaries open. You should meet them or beat them to the 100' mark. Once you start approaching the abhored 45mph mark they'll start pulling away due to the fact you've got barn door aerodynamics.

I always thought nonlocking 700R4s frequently committed suicide due to heat? Can you put a transbrake on a 700R4? That'd be one way to smoke'em.

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

When I had a 3" body lift and 33's.. running a 14bolt with 4.56's and a chevy 350 putting power through a smc465 (manual) trans I took a mustang 5.0 off the line for about 20 feet with granny gear.. but then he whooped me bad.. but hey.. I got to the next lite where he was at and reved it next to him... C- I can get there too.. just takes a bit longer.. as I dont expect him to follow me /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    nothin to brag about... that mine is faster than yours just gets you in trouble and not worth it... but just my opinion...

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Take it to a track. 300hp is a fair amount of motor. GET EVERYTHING OUT OF THE TRUCK YOU CAN! Pull the inner front fenders, put a single lite bucket in it , pull the carpet and pad, leave the spare out. Move the Battery to the right rear of the bed. Put a Detroit locker in it. run a bed cover to clean up the air flow. Thow a set of lighter smaller tires like 30's on the front to Bring it down some to help with air flow. Run 1/8 mile ONLY. in that you might have half a chance if you can hook up. Over a 1/8 mile the airodynamics are going to kill you.
    Like I said...do this at the track not the street. Paying a little at the race track is a hell of a lot less than the tickets if you get nailed on the street.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

he he, grim, speaking of tickets... i had my buddys 79 (SWB 350/465/205)
    to get dirt. well, as i do if i borrow a friends car or truck i filled it full and washed it
    i have a bad habbit of using first.. or granny in this case..
    comming out of the car wash i spun the tires(very wet at that)
    through granny, tried to shift out of it, but spun through first
    then half way through 3rd....
    well there is a cop... he followed us for a bit then flipped a b!tch
    he was going to pull us over, but didnt. i was very lucky..
    smoked the hello out of a dually tonight.. 454/465/D70 with who knows what gears
    but this time it was on purpous..
    he he.
    grant

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have yet to see a manual tranny 5.0 run less then mid 14s stone stock, add slicks and they go much faster

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I like the auto tranny 5.0's...very few 5 speed Mustangs have taken my wife's 86 the first 60 feet./forums/images/icons/cool.gif Of course thats on the street (bad bad bad... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ) and driver error is the majority cause. The auto version really does hook well off the line though.

Rene

15. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

I have found that you never get enough power, you build a new motor and run it for awhile then it's not nearly as fast as it was to begin with so you build another, this time with more money and H.P. then it soon becomes under rated....so on and so fourth. Vicious cycle BUT I would never degrade my Blazer by comparing it to a Mustang....JUST NO COMPARISON!!! Good luck and remember you drive a BLAZER!

16. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

That was my thought also, they want to race, you pick the spot. Sugar sand is fun, or even a wet grassy field. They probably wont bury themselves but you will definitely whoop ass with 4 wheel drive and 35's... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Race smart!

17. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Don't forget to ask your friends that aside from racing, what in the heck their mustangs are good for. Your blazer, of course, has a very long list of things it's good at. Or just race them in the winter once. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

OK buddy,.. here's what you do, clean it up nice inside,take the seat out of the back, lay a futon mattres in the back, (which fits just perfect)
    Take the top off and take your girl out to the mountains or dunes etc. on one these HOT August nights, take some wine, lay in the back under the stars..
    ........the rest I will let you figure out. Then your Mustang buddies wont mean [censored] anymore!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

19. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Just wait a while and I'm sure the Fire On Request and Demand system (note the acronym for FORD) will kick in. Fords have a bad habit of burning to the ground. Thats no B.S. either, I think mustangs had problems with the fuel lines if I recall. Trucks had problems with the fuel pressure regulators. I've seen one of those personally. It didn't burn to the ground though. We have a '70 something 1/2 ton up at the shop though that did. Chevys have rust and Ford has fire. I'll take the rust persoanlly.