Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slow Power Windows

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Jun 16, 2001.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

hey all !

Woow it's been a LONG TIME since my last visit...

My power windows are getting slower-- I took apart the swithes an worked on fixing the contacts to see if that was the case--now I'm sure it's the motors---sooooo...

what do I do to repair these--? anyone fixed these on their own?

-----------------------------------
    "If it has tits or wheels, It'll give you trouble."
    -DeeVee8

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can get rebuilt motors from most part stores.
    Lube and check your tracks for binding while the motor is out.
    I have speakers in the lower part of my doors - I can't imagine how difficult it would be without that access.... The three screws/nuts are a PIA!

Does anyone one know if they make faster motors (or better gearing)?

Dave

Don't Be Sexist - Broads Hate That

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Usually the window speed can be improved by cleaning all the old grease from the regulators, then lightly re-greasing.
    The grease from the factory turns into a gluish substance after enough years. I'd disassemble, clean, and regrease and see how they are. You might not need new motors.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

My father-in-law's 92 Dodge has the fastest windows I've ever seen. The go up and down in about two seconds.

"Liberals ain't mean, they just don't have any common sense!"

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

My buddy's got a Kenworth T300, and the power windows will take your arm off if you aren't careful (air operated)

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

6. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

I had the same problem until one day the passenger side would only go half way down.
    Just remove the inside door panel and get in there with some spray lube and go crazy. Spray tracks, slides, and hinge points. Then work the window up and down a few times and then go crazy with the spray lube again. Once its running good, you can shoot a little grease into the slide track that attatches horizontally at the bottom of the glass.
    Finally, get some silicone spray (it does'nt leave a residue like wd-40) and spray all around the door frame where the window slides, and where you rest your arm too. The slide track rubber / felt stuff sucks the silicone up and it'll slide great. It protects the rubber too.
    This made a HUGE difference on mine, I hope it helps yours.
    Botied

7. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Thanks-- I'm takin to the "LUBE JOB" better than replacing brushes in those little motors!

Ahhh....the multi uses of SILICONE-- makes a boobs on blondes look better and you can use it to lube up your window tracks!

Thanks dude, but I'll say what I want to say--It's a free country--you're still flying a confederate flag--

I rest my case!

_DeeVee8_
    -------------------------------------------
    "Last words are for people who haven't said enough already."

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Those window motors are cheep enough ($35).....I replaced both of mine, and the passenger side is still slow.....checked the ground, goobered everything with silicone....took everything apart and cleaned it really good.....it's still slow.....drivers side works great.....while you're in there shredding your arms, I'd add some Accoustimat sound deadener to help your sound system.....my next big project is to take my tailgate apart and redo everything in there...again...JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

"Thanks dude, but I'll say what I want to say--It's a free country--you're still flying a confederate flag"

We lost, get over it. I am!

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

10. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I need to get into the rear tailgate soon to fix the entire wiring system. If you get to doing yours, can you please send me a set of pics of how the wires are connected. I need to reconnect the wires the way they were originally. I have it rigged now just so I can get the windows up and down. I'd love to know what color wire goes where........

If anyone else has time or is in their tailgate, try to run down where each wire goes and their color. The wire diagram from the manuals are good but they are not as good as a picture.

11. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I normally hate to see a cool truck site like this get all mucked up with political commentary, but since I agree with you.....ROCK ON!

12. 89k5blazr

89k5blazr Registered Member

I had the same problem and I just sprayed some WD-40 into the track on the left and right and it seemed to make it a little faster and easier. Give it a shot... whats the worst that could happen?

<font color=blue>The 1989 K5 Blazer.... when you got to crush every motherf*cker on the road.... except no substitutions</font color=blue>[​IMG]