Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

slow starts on the K5.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 23, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright my K5 acts weird once and a while and doesn't like starting. It cranks really slowly like the battery is dead then out of no where cranks fast and starts right up. I'm rebuilding the truck and the only things in the engine bay that haven't been replaced at one point or another are the radiator, starter, and alternator so guess what I'm replacing? Going 4 core, mini high torque starter, and new more powerful alternator I think. Also probably putting an MSD 6AL on her. I'm told they help start ups. Think all this will fix the problem? The Battery is a brand new Optima Red Top and I don't have a voltage gauge but had my alternator tested at Auto Zone and tehy claim there is nothing at all wrong with it.

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What kind of shape are your battery cables in? Do you have a good ground on the negative side (no paint, rust, etc where its grounded)? Don't forget a new solenoid with your new starter. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Kris

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The cables aren't so great, I'm gonna redo those cause I'm moving the battery into my interior. The battery hold down is shot and rusted to hell and it will be cleaner underhood and easier to access light wiring to get rid of it. In fact the ground off the negative on the battery to the core support burned off once. Like while it was cranking really slow the insulation smoked right off it. I replaced the wire and cleaned up the grounding point but it still does it, though it does do it less.

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Sounds like that might be part of your problem. You might have a weak starter too. Might want to have it tested.

Kris

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thinking I will pull the starter yet today and get a battery relocator kit. Where can I get one of those? I will build a custom place for the battery in the K5 but I want to put it ALL the way in the back right by the tailgate. So I need some long cables, will that diminish power? If the starter is alright I think I will get a new solenoid(can't hurt) and a heat shield and use that one with my headers.

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

the longer the cable to the starter the more resistence it will have.hence lower amperage the farther away the battery is away from the starter.i had problems with my truck not wanting to crank as you have said.i was too far advanced on my timing and the engine would crank slow because the plugs were firing too early and trying to send the piston down way before top dead center.i had to back off timing about 10-15 degrees to make it run and start right.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Timing has always been a pain in my side. I'm running 4 degrees advanced right now, and will be pulling the distributor and starting over when I do my intake swap.

8. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Something you might check because I had the same problem years ago was the distributor mechanical advance not returning to 0 after the engine stopped. The mechanical weights and bushings were so worn out that they would hang up and give the engine too much timing causing a starter to work very hard and then the distributor would "reset" itself and starting became easier immediately. Installed a rebuilt distributor and never had a problem after that. I too was running about 8-10* advance at the time.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm that is something I should look at. I forgot to mention that after I redid the ground and put in the Optima it started just fine for a few weeks then it started again. That seemed like some important info I forgot. And with the old battery if I revved it up a little bit before I shut it down it would start much easier the next time. Led me to believe the battery isn't charging right.

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

if you're moving your battery cables that far back, you need bigger wire..much bigger...the longer distance means more resistance, so cut the resistance by going larger wire..

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what is standard size? 2 gauge? I was thinking I will go to 1 gauge.