Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Slow winches

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigjbear, May 3, 2003.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I think about this every time someone makes an "A slow winch is better than no winch" post or any time I see someone useing a realy slow winch. Yes, its true that no winch sucks and money is tight for a lot of ppl (me included), but I rather buy a used winch like an 8274 or HS9500 than something new and slow. I'm not out to bash anyone or start a flame war, just my $.02. BTW, my winch was used when I bought it, and I know a few others on here and in my club that have bought good used winches.
    A fast winch can save your bacon if you're on the hook and you start to go over. It's much easier to lay down the gas pedal when you arn't waiting for the cable to spool back in. There is also less "wait time". For steep hills and large rocks fast is the way to go. Maybe things are different in mud and sand, I don't know I never owned a winch when I lived in the flat lands.

2. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

JMO, but if you're "laying down the gas pedal" you aren't going to find a winch to keep up with you, unless your gear ratio on your winch is 1:1. sure a faster winch is better, but when you're giving it lots of skinny pedal, the fastest winch on the market isn't going to even come close to keeping up with a moving vehicle with lots of throttle applied.

-Scott (still winchless)

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

It's obvious you haven't wheeled on the easy coast /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif [​IMG] Slimmy wet rocks=skinny pedal, possiblity to roll multiple times=HS9500ti /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And those are 42's on my Blazer

4. bigjbear

Just because you are spinning the tires doesn't mean the truck is moving, hence the need to winch. You are correct though, even the fastest of the recerational winches won't keep up w/ a moving truck. In the SE you cant simply crawl over stuff, eveything is coated in a layer of slime. You need wheel speed to clear some of the crap off the rock below. So your tires are moving one speed and the truck is moving another, a fast line speed will keep momentium and make life easier on axle parts.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

that trail looks sweet, is that tellico?

6. bigjbear

Yep, Trail 9. That's the rock garden that leads up to the obsticle the trail is named for "Slick Rock" or "Hard Rock" (Lots of stuff at Tellico has more than one name.) It was super wet when that was taken. Big storm the day and night before. But its always wet there, you PNW guys would be right at home.

7. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

That's a sweet picture. I finally got my pics back from Tellico and I wish I had a scanner so I could post some of them. Back on the subject, when I finally get a winch, I'm going for the HS9500. When I first saw Slickrock, the first thing I thought of was having a fast winch in case I got into a bad position about to roll. Instead, I hammered the gas and bent my tie-rod into the diff. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I won't be in any competitions or anything, but if I'm dropping the dough on a winch, I'm getting a fast one.

8. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I upgraded my old 8274 with the series wound motor. It's real fast..

9. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i couldn't agree more, after seeing you guys with the high speed winch's they made my RE12000 look like a snail. i will be replacing my slow ass winch up front with a hs9500 and throw this slow one in the rear /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I agree 100%. After being in a situation where a 8274 saved me from a nasty roll, speed is king. I'm not even sure a HS 9500 would have saved me. And for those that doubt...At least 10 people saw my truck up on two wheels going over on Guard rail. I was on the way over. Somebody has a Vid of it but I have not been able to track it down and get a copy.

3 years ago they had a rock crawl comp at Dixie run on lower two. I watched this guy with a early Bronco winching the last section Caught traction lurched foward and got slack in the cable. Truck for all intents and purposes did a 95% lay over. The 8274 on the bumper caught it before the shetmetal hit the ground and poped it back over on it's wheels. It was one of the most amazing thing I have ever seen. The guy never lifted on the throttle.

My truck has a stall with the nose up problem. Before I had a winch I had been in several situations where I had been stuck on steep grades and relied on friends to winch me up. Most of those times I only needed to be pulled about 10 feet and I could get the truck refired and it could make the rest on its own. Most of those times I got stuck 2-3 times because I had to stop to let the winch catch up so I wouldn't run over the cable.

That's while I waited till I could afford a HS9500. I got lucky and Keith was ready to upgrade to a 9.5t and cut me a hell of a deal on his HS9500i.

You look at these copitition rock crawlers and the ONLY wiches you will ever see on them is HS9500's and 8274's. Speed is every bit as important as power in trail and rock situations. The only place where it isn't is mud. Yes I can see in mud where a 12,000lb worm drive is the way to go. I don't do mud.

I went and looked to see if I could find a picture of the EB but no luck. Just found a picture of a bunch of slackers arm chair wheeling. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

11. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If you will notice, I am the only one not stuffing my face. I had already eaten. If you look closely, you can see the K5 is on 36x14.5x15 TSL Radials on Alcoa forged aluminum wheels. Then you might notice that the spare tire carrier is BROKEN OFF!

Was a great Dixie Run and that was the year before last.

72 Thing, If you want to send me the pics I can scan them and post them and send them back to you.

PM me and I will send you my mailing address if your interested.

Depdog

12. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They do call it a worm gear for a reason and now I know why.I just bought my RE12000 and I'm already thinking of my next winch.An 8274 I think. I bought my worm gear because of all the feedback I got from locals that I mud with. Speed is not a factor in the deep mud,Brute strength is. Tellico taught me a good many things,Dana 60 parts can break and I need a faster winch.Oh the joy of learning.Make it or break it and when all else fails Hammer down!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so how much you want for that undesireable 12000?

14. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got to pay for it first but it will be going to the rear to pull SUV recovery duty. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif