Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SLR Camera for Alaska?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigBen, Feb 18, 2003.

1. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, getting laid off means it's time for another road trip to Alaska... but this time we're going to float on the Yukon river for a few months.

I've always used "Point-and-shoot" cameras, but this time it's time to move up to the SLR! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I need some recommendations on good cameras or setups to take.

(I've been looking at the new Canon Rebel Ti or Canon EOS Elan 7E with an additional 75-300mm zoom lens)

Anone have any thoughts or suggestions to help out a Newbie to SLR photography?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks,

-Ben

2. 502 4x4

502 4x4 1/2 ton status

The Elan 7E is an excellent camera. If your gonna get a Canon 75-300 spend a couple hundred extra for the IS (Image Stabilization) lens. It's a nice lens and well worth the price. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Dude the Yukon is a blast the scenary is awesome Im guessing your gonna take alot of film. Where are you starting out from? I took a four day trip on the yukon once we rented canoes form canoe people in Whitehorse then paddled four days down river to small campground where we were picked up. We kept running in to the naked germans though we paddled around a bend and there they were on the beach naked and running around then we paddled to egg island and there they were again!

Have a fun trip.

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have a Canon Elan 7e. I cannot say enough good about it. I got my set up from eBay from CametaCamera. I would recommend them any day. Awesome customer service and prices! I got with it two lenses, Sigmas. One is 70-300mm and the other is 28-80mm. Both with macro settings. I also recommend getting a flash. It has a small fill in flash, but something bigger would be good. Speedlite makes good stuff. I have a 200e. I want to get a 420ex though when I can. If you need any help lemme know. I takes pictures all the time and kinda know what I am doing... trying to turn pro! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. BigBen

Mike,

Thanks for the input on the Elan.
    I've been thinking about the IS lens option, just not sure if I can spring for it right now.

Where in the South Bay are you? I'm in Mountain View.
    Any good camera shops that you know of?

I've been out of San Jose Camera a couple times now and they have been fairly helpful.

Thanks,

-Ben

6. BigBen

JimmyJuneau,

Well, the last time I was up there I only saw the Yukon at Whitehorse, Dawson, and the Dalton Highway. But I have heard the rest is fantastic. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

We're going to put in somewhere down by Whitehorse and float through to Holy Cross or St. Mary's. It looks like about 1800 miles and 3 months of paddling. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Hopefully there will be plenty of photo opportunities while I am up there.

Any thoughts/suggestions you might have for the trip would be greatly appreciated!

-Ben

7. BigBen

Steph,

Thanks for the postiive thoughts on the Elan. Now it will probably just end up being an issue of funds for me to decide which camera to get. I'll also give CametaCamera a shot to see what kind of a deal I can find.

I'll probably put the flash off until I get back from Alaska and find a job since most of the pics up there will be wildlife, scenery, and outdoors......

By the way, your photos look GREAT! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

How much of that did you do in "auto" with the camera, or were most of the pics taken with manual settings?

Thanks,

-Ben

8. BigBen

Has anyone shot pics with the Rebel Ti?
    I'd like to know the differnece between that and the Elan...

Thanks,

-Ben

9. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    Has anyone shot pics with the Rebel Ti?
    I'd like to know the differnece between that and the Elan...

Thanks,

-Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my friend has one and I would use it sometimes. It's a nice camera. It's smaller and offers less features then the Elan. If you want something to take pictures and get good quality then there is nothing wrong with it. What is your price range? If you were to check that camera store on eBay I mentioned you might be able to afford more camera for less price. They are an actually shop in NY who sells on eBay. They sell Canon America products. All good stuff. They have a powerseller rating too, so they are good. Like I said I am very satisfied by the camera I got from them!

As for the pictures I took, most are are on the auto setting. Those pics are from a varity of cameras. I have used, Canon Elan 7e, Canon Rebel, Canon Rebel G, Canon TI, Canon AE1 & A1, Kodak Advantax, Kodak Explorer this toss around camera I paid $30 for, and a old Pentax I don't even own anymore and don't recall the model... you don't need to spend to get good pics. I just really like my Elan because of ease of it. But at the same time other cameras work just as good for less!

10. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

i have used a couple different ones on trips, took a minolta maxxim 7000 with me to austria. i got some great pictures but i think it was a bit bulky to carry around. i mainly use an old manual nikon with a 50mm lense for everyday stuff. dont discount point and shoot camers, great pictures come from you not necessarily the camera.

if i was doing a trip on a river id be very selective what i brought with me. a cheapie slr with a compact lense might be the ticket or a cheap point and shoot. sounds like a great trip. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. BigBen

I'm thinking I'll probably lean toward the Elan after all.

How much I can spend really depends on how much I want to get.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif If the Elan is that much better, I'll find a way to afford it.

I checked a couple of the shops online and their prices looked pretty good. I'm heading over to the local shop today to compare prices too.... I'd rather give the business locally if they can get near the price.

Thanks again,

-Ben

12. BigBen

Craig,

I think I'll keep a simple point and shoot available in the canoe most of the time. But I want the SLR along for the 300mm ability. The SLR will be stored in a Pelican case and used mainly for scenery and wildlife when I'm not in a potential "dump the canoe" situation......

I'll take a look tonight at the Minoltas as well.

Thanks,

-Ben

13. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I have a Canon Rebel G and I love it. I got it about 4 or 5 years ago and havent had any problems with it. It takes great pictures. Here's a few that I have taken with it. http://www.geocities.com/oworfreak/wheelingpics.html The first 3 and the next to last pic were taken with different cameras. I would suggest getting a UV filter. It helps cut down on some of the glare and also helps protect the end of the lense.

14. ChevyCaGal

Watch out for some stores back East (this is where I have noticed this the most, in NY, NJ and FL)... I have found some of their products are not Canon USA. If you buy them and need to warrenty it then you're screwed. Just make sure of that!

As for is the Elan better? For me yes, because I use a lot of the features. But if you aren't, don't pay for them get something else cheaper like the TI. It has the same quality, just not the same amount of bells and whistles!

15. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

My sister just went the same way with one of the new Nikons (7x? 7xe?) It's a great little unit, motorized lens that you can set to auto and use as a point and shoot for when you don't have time to do all the fiddling, or you can turn the motor off and play till your heart is content. The optional lenses are also motorized. takes great pics

16. BigBen

Steph,

I went down and compared the Rebel Ti to the Elan 7 last night. It isn't that much more, and now I am sold on the Elan. I just need to figure out who to order from now. I'll keep an eye out for the East Coast thing... is that what they refer to as the "grey market" stuff?

-Ben

17. ChevyCaGal

Well, it's a good product.... if you lived in Europe. It's the Canons they sell there I have been finding. A lot of times they can get Canon Europe products for cheaper here. Great deal if you never have an issue. But say your shutter sticks and you try to warrenty it. They will not honor that warrenty. Why you need to make sure you get a Canon USA product. They sell Canon USA products http://www.cameta.com/ and who I used. I am very satisfied. You can also buy like a Popular Photography mag and check in the back for the ads. You can get great deals, just gotta look for them! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif