Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM-465 / CH 465

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks2krpt, Apr 26, 2003.

1. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

How can I identify if the 465 tranny (4x4 model) is a SM-465 or a CH-465 ? What are the differences ? Will either model output fit the SM-465 adapter coupling to a NP-205 T case?

Thanks
    Paul

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think they are 1 and the same tranny

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Apparently anything in a GM is a CH465. (according to my GM manuals)

As MJ said, in reality one and the same as far as anything anyone has come up with.

Just call it a 465 if you want to be politically correct /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

The output shafts are different! If you are looking for one in a junkyard, usually the rear yoke is still on the CH-465.... To get the 465 that mates to a 205, first you need to know what spline count your 205 is... If it's a 10 spline 205, than you need the short output shaft, 10 spline 465.... If it's a 32 spline 205, than you need the long output 465 32 spline! I have heard of a lot of people using the short 35 spline output 465s(CH-465)and mating them to various transfer cases with handmade couplings and custom adapters... But unless you're doing something custom, the above info should head you in the right place.... There is nothing different about the transmissions except the output shafts! Hope this helps! And if you want to see pictures of the shafts go here:
    Navak Adapters

5. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for the good info. I already have a 465 with the output yoke. It was from a P series step van behind a Cummins 4BTA. I want to marry it to a NP-205 for my next project.

Paul

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I think they are 1 and the same tranny

[/ QUOTE ]

You think?!?! Is that the best answer/description you can come up with? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

beat the hell out of your answer.

8. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    beat the hell out of your answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another useless answer. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

You are making a leap that the CH = a 2wdr tranny.
    I have not yet seen any credible explanation of the SM vs CH designations.
    according to the chev service manual I have they refer to it as a 117mm tranny(refering to the main to counter shaft distance) and refer to the 4x4 version as a 'K' variation.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I see you are back to following me around here.
    get a life.

11. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    I see you are back to following me around here.
    get a life.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

another beauty of a post,
    right on topic again.
    of course you floated in to add more to the sm vs ch debate,
    hmmm, I dont seem to see anything related to trannys in your posts.

13. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    another beauty of a post,
    right on topic again.
    of course you floated in to add more to the sm vs ch debate,
    hmmm, I dont seem to see anything related to trannys in your posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes a moron like you feel any better, CH does NOT represent a 2wd 465 tranny. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Any idiot should know that.

BTW, to you and all of your past replies to anybody, on topic or not: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, and blah!!!

Now I'm seriously considering on paying for a membership for you, just to make you orange and to suffer, too. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif You might like to go to the Bloody Knuckle and read some good stuff about you. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if it is anything they want me to see they would have emailed or posted it in open forums.
    I probably heard it all before though.
    good work trashing this guys post LOL

15. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    if it is anything they want me to see they would have emailed or posted it in open forums.
    I probably heard it all before though.
    good work trashing this guys post LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

You crack me up sometimes. Here you show yourself as smartass and cold to members stuff and you still give good info when you can.
    But I really wonder what you are like in person. Bet you're nothing like that little man behind the monitor. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

BTW, how often have I trashed a thread or post? A lot less than you have, buddy! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif