Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM 465 fit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Mar 9, 2005.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I know nothing about transmissions, but trying to learn. I have a TB 350 in a 75 K5 that needs to be rebuilt. I just ran across a four speed with granny 1st gear out of a 85 K5 that had an electrical fire yesterday. First question- this is a SM465, correct? Second, will this swap be a direct bolt in? Found the how to write up in the technical section so I will be following that closely. Just a little worried about the different tail shafts, and any other issues that might pop up I don't know about. Thanks for the help.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes its the sm465/np208. this swap is not a bolt in swap for the older trucks. you will need driveshafts, and redrill the frame for the crossmember. there are a few small things that were changed from year to year, but i have solved them (doing to swap as we speak, almost done also)

im working on a more complete write up for this swap also, mine is a 700r4-sm465 swap though.

3. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

4. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Spooln- thanks, I downloaded that earlier and have been going over it.

I will have to find a new crossmember for this, correct?

5. big83chevy4x4

you will need a new crossmember because the 85 uses the short adapter.

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Hey odoa lets keep things simple....when I get to anchorage you canhave my th350 and I'll take the 4speed, but only if you have all the linkage, pedals and if its bydro :D :D

7. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Hey, I may take you up on that! If I can get the guy to give me a call back! Swing by a federal reserve on your way up and grab me some money so I can get everything done this summer, OK?:D

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's not too bad.

Make sure you get everything. That means pedals, reservoir, master cylinder, hose, slave cylinder, clutch fork, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, and transmission. It'd also be a benefit to get the crossmember.

The hose and clutch fork alone are $100 from the dealership. The slave cylinder is like $60 from the auto parts store. The flywheel is $75. A "decent" clutch will cost you $140. Get all the bolts also because flywheel and flex plate bolts are different lengths. You'll need the bolts that go between the trans and bellhousing because they're metric.

I have $600 into the parts for SM465/NP208 swap and I'm not even done yet. That doesn't include $70 for the clocking ring or the fact that I never opened up the 465 or 208 to see if anything needed maintenance/repair/replacement.

9. big83chevy4x4

mine were standard and bellhousing was from an 89 C&C 1 ton.

i have $290 into everything for my swap (im done BTW), so it does range.

here is my write up, i even have the measurements for the hydro master cylinder on the firewall.
    http://www.midwestoffroad.com/big83chevy4x4/auto-manual-swap-chevy.htm

10. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Thanks Cyber and Big83, exact type of information I was looking for. :waytogo: