Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sm-465 married to Turbo 400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ks2krpt, Oct 21, 2005.

1. ks2krpt

ks2krpt Registered Member

Does any one know of a company that makes adapters to couple a SM-465 to a Turbo 400. I want to drive the Turbo 400 with the SM-465, powered by a Cummins 4BTA Diesel.

And. anyone ever done this and will share method used ?

Thanks
    Paul

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

My biggest concern is whether the second transmission in the line would survive. Keep in mind that if the SM465 was first, followed by the TH400, that you would be putting a proverbial crap load of torque into the TH400...much more than I'm guessing it was ever designed for.

1st gear in the SM465 is around 6.5 or something, right? So with even a conservative 250 ft-lbs. of torque from the engine the TH400 would be getting pounded with the equivalent of 1,600+ ft-lbs. of torque.

3. ks2krpt

6.2 Blazer, thanks fo5r the reply. You may well be correct in the destruction of the Turbo 400. However, one of the trucks at Top Truck XI was runing this combo, did well and was pushing over 500 hp.

So I need to figure a way to marry them together. If the Turbo 400 Blows, well I guess it was not designed strong enough ha ha ha. But what a combo the two would make, think of the final crawl ratio. And the high Torque is only if your really getting on it. I believe with the 4BTA your not going to, have to 'get on it' to really do well, as you would with a gasser.

Paul

4. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I think that it wouldn't work to well as when you push in the clutch the torque converter is gonna stop turning. I could see it working well the otherway with the 400 driving the 4 spd.

5. ks2krpt

Oooops, I just read the info I have over again. The Turbo 400 is driving the sm465. My brain must have had a stuck bit. That makes hook up so much easier.

Paul