Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm 465 problems again!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slowk5, Jan 9, 2006.

1. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

:confused: Well i give everyone a little history on the tranny.I got it from a junk yard,and took it to a off road shop to have it rebuilt.When it came time for the first test drive it wouldnt downshift in to 2nd gear with out clashing. So i took the blazer back to offroad shop to get fixed the 2nd time! They went though the whole thing again,put in a new 2nd,3rd gear,both bushings and new set of 2nd gear syncros.They said every thing else looked fine?Anyway i got it back and it worked alot better then before,but still not like new.Now 3 weeks later,it's doing the same thing in to 2nd gear,it won't go in until am at a dead stop.The owner of the stop has no idea what else it could be! He said he would just get a reman tranny,and not try to fix the one i had,he always really nice about everything,and is going out of his way to help me.If any of u have any ideas on what could be causing this let me know,Am about done dealing with problem:mad: Thanks.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

clutch adjusted correctly?

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

By second, do you me 1, 2, 3, 4 or L, 1, 2, 3?

Cause yeah, its nearly impossible to be able to shift into 1st from 2nd, assuming the L, 1, 2, 3 shift pattern. 3 -> 2 is good below 50 mph or so, but 2 -> 1 is not gonna happen till nearly a dead stop. L is not syncronized, so that isn't gonna work unless you are at dead stop :)

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine won't downshift into 2nd unless I'm doing 5mph or less...

Rene

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I agree with above. Have you driven another rig with a 465 or 420 in it for comparison?

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

My old '76 wouldn't shift into first until it was under 10 mph.

7. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Mine wont go into 1st untill im nearly stopped and I dont go from 3rd to 2nd unless im at or below 25mph, but my top speed is 55mph so its no big deal.

What kind of gear oil are you running? That can have an effect on how fast your synchronizers will match your gear speeds.

8. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

Thanks for the replys,And i do mean 2nd not granny.Ive driven a few other trucks with 465's<so i know what they should feel like.Mine will grind like hell in to 2nd unless am at a dead stop!!Thats not right.I dont think it should drive like a camry,but like a good rebuilt 465.That not to much to ask right?Iam in to the tranny almost 1000 Bucks with the Core,and the laber of the first rebuild,and all the new "hard" parts i got to try to fix it the 2nd time:eek: So am taking the truck back tomorrow to have the tranny droped the 3rd time,i Think the off road shop is going to pay for a New tranny! Hopfuly that will make it work.And as far as oil am got 85-90 in it.