Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM 465 shifter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by velocitiii, Dec 30, 2003.

1. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

I'm looking for a GM 1 ton 4x4 and a couple I've looked at had the 4 spd. They all have so much play in the shifter that its tough to tell if they're in neutral or in gear without letting out the clutch. Is this normal? If not, what is required to fix it?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Compared to a car manual tranny they are sloppy feeling. The length of the shifter exaggerates the effect. In gear my shifter can be moved 2-3" side to side.

Rene

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's normal and after a while you'll get used to it and will know exactly where neutral is. It's really not that hard to find since all of the actual gear positions are at least a foot or so away. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW, granny low and reverse are not synchronized in those trannies. To prevent gear grinding when shifting into either of those gears, push in the clutch and shift to 2nd gear and then shift into granny low or reverse. Otherwise you'll get strange looks from bystanders as they wonder why your tranny is grinding so loudly. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ohh i soo wish i had a standerd /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Some play (much compared to a car tranny) is normal, but there are some problems with the shifters that apparently can be fixed. The bottom of the shifter has a weld that breaks, increasing the amount of slop.

I believe some have stated that their shifters touch the dash when in the "forward" gears. (L and 2 IIRC) I have an '85 tranny I pulled from a truck, and one thats in my truck which is a '74. The '74 has noticeably more slop, and I know the weld is broken on it. The '85 isn't.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

shifter play on top loader 4 speed is good, is way tons more than tiny car manual trannies

i hav a hard time with car side loader tranies, but a 465 or 420 or 435 i can shift damned easily, i cant stand car manual side loader trannies
    they suck,

good luck

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    their shifters touch the dash when in the "forward" gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine does... Doesn't have to but ususally it does.