Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM 465 Short Shifter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bonanza, Oct 18, 2004.

1. bonanza

bonanza Registered Member

I was just wondering if anyone in here has modded their SM 465 shifter to shorten the throw, and if so, how'd ya do it?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i doubt that since the shifting is all done internaly you could effectivly shorten the throw on a SM465/420. the only way i can see it being done is to make a housing that has linkages connected to the top of the shifter(after the shifter is cut off this is...) once the linkages are made and the housing is done you could in turn have as short of a shift throw as you like.

drawbacks in my eyes: bulky. the housing would take up room and be a nuscence(sp?)

design would be a ROYAL PITA! doable, but not really worth the time in my eyes.

just my input.
    Grant

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

you could cut the shifter down too. farther throw between gears, just no fun leaning over to shift.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

"Short throw 465"

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. bonanza

What do you find so amusing about a short throw SM 465? I think it's a great idea. The shift pattern is so exaggerated, it takes quite a while between gears. This would be great for towing/pulling as you would get a better shift recovery with shorter shifts.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The gears are so far apart in a 465, even if you could get it into gear faster acceleration would still suck.

I love my 465, but "short throw" and "465" just don't go together, that is hilarious. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. bonanza

I understand the 465 has a wide ratio. But I'm not talking about a short shifter for fast acceleration. I think it would be a lot easier to drive with a tighter shift pattern. Anything I've ever driven with a short throw was much more enjoyable than the stock shifter, even during normal driving. It's just much more precise.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

how many miles on yours? is the shifter worn? my 465 is 130K old and is smooth and tight. no wobble like the nv4500 in the other truck with the same miles.

9. bonanza

Honestly, I couldn't even tell you how many miles it has, it's out of a 78 3/4 ton that was a plow truck for many years. So in other words, it's probably seen better days.

10. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

mines a 78 too. you may wanna pop the shifter out and take a look at the end of it for excessive wear.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine isn't lose either, but it was rebuilt. I actually like the way my 465 shifts, and I can bang gears pretty good with it.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

same for me. Throw is big but its a truck transmission.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The shift lever is three feet long. Put a three foot shifter on a Camaro and the throw at the end is going to be close to the same as the truck.

Think about it. The shifter doesn't move much at all at the base, it's the length needed to reach the driver that makes it a long throw. Besides the fact that it has to clear the dash, so bends are necessary.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The length of the shaft in the trans is a factor as well. My new project is an S10 blazer, and I am puting a 465 in it. I will likely redo the shifter since the bent long thing is meant for the dash of a pickup/blazer. Probably a much shorter straight shaft. Its a very doable thing.

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you would have to either recast the top cover with the pivot ball moved up or modify the existing cover

how good are you at casting aluminum? how many can you sell?
    it is a very easy thing to do but no one has stepped up
    a more important item would be reasonably priced aftermarket shift forks with replaceable wear pads

16. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Don't know about a shorter throw, but if you want it tighter pull your shifter out and the little T at the bottom that wobbles around, weld it solid to the piece that it is stuck in. Piss on that little roll pin. I welded mine up last year and it took ALOT of the play out of the shifter, took 5 minutes, and has had 0 negative effects!

17. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

When i had the dual 465 set up the second shifter i made was about 10 inches long. It was nice at times but the extra effort need to shift it with it being so short got old on the trail after a while. So yes its doable....just cut and weld...but it really doesnt get you a whole lot.