Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm 465 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steveo, May 27, 2004.

1. steveo

steveo Registered Member

i am currently runnin a mild 350 with a th 350 trans and a 205 t case in my chejeep, i want to swap a sm 465 in, im not a big automatic fan when wheelin, and you gotta love the super low first gear, what all would it take, haha i dont need the clutch pedal still have mine in the jeep from when it used to be a manual, anyway, i havnt really looked a whole lot into the 465 or anything, is it hydraulic or what, or is it all linkage i have no clue any help would be great pictures would be even better

2. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

Early ones were all linkage.
    Later (1985?) were hydro. It's not hard to convert, but it's a bit pricey.

I'm currently in the process of converting an auto truck to an SM465. I need more time off work!
    -T

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

465's came in both hydro and linkage type clutch variations. You will need I think '86 and newer for hydro. If you want to go hydro, I'm not sure the Jeep pedal will work. Millions of people have swapped 465's into their Jeeps, so if you dig around on Pirate or some hardcore Jeep boards, there might be a write up. The only major thing is you might have to move the crossmember.

4. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

The jeep pedal will work, you just need custom linkage. My jeep uses the original pedal and custom linkage.

5. steveo

steveo Registered Member

how hard and how much money do you estimate this thing takes, i dont have much money but im seeing 465's attatched o 205's everywhere around here for cheaaappppp so i figured id go ahead and look into it.

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I would say your main cost is going to be the tranny and transfer case, and the clutch. Other than that it depends on whether you go hydro (and what all you get with the tranny) or mechanical. If you go mechanical, depends on how good you can fabricate.

7. steveo

steveo Registered Member

are these trannies like strictly off road driveabillity wise? i would like something fairly easy to drive on road too

8. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Fine on the road. It depends on gearing and tire size. 465/205 take a ton of abuse and still live. Shoot me an e-mail and i can send you a tech article a couple friends did for a class on how and whats needed for the swap.

Brian
    mtu_stud@hotmail.com

9. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'M SEEING 465'S HOOKED TO 205'S EVERYWHERE AROUND HERE CHEEEEEAP.

[/ QUOTE ] where are you from?i want a 465/205 combo,BADLY.especially CHEAP!

10. MoonMan

MoonMan Registered Member

A SM465/NP205 combo is exactly the same length as a TH350/NP205 so you should have no problems with crossmember locations or driveshaft lengths /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. When I swapped mine I got the pedals, linkage, and flywheel free. Only costs were tranny and t-case ($100 for both), tranny rebuild parts ($180), t-case rebuild parts ($80), new GM 10 spline coupler ($30), and clutch ($200). Including paint, sealer and anything else I had about $600 into my swap.

11. steveo

steveo Registered Member

im located around portland oregon area, nickle ads theres usually at least 2 or 3 sets of 465's and 205's for about 150, $200

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I got lucky and scored a 465/205 for free, complete with adaptor. However I'm not gonna use the 205 because it has the slip yoke rear.

Just remember that the th350 and 465 versions of 205's had different spline counts, so you will either need to swap the input or use another tcase.

as for driveability, the 465 is just fine. I drove my truck for a year as my DD, had 0 problems. just start in 2nd gear and steer clear of traffic jams, lol.