Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM 465 Tech.... Making a manual linkage into a hydraulic setup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KrebsATM02, Feb 17, 2003.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

If I don't find a hydraulic bell housing soon for my 465, i'm going to try and build my own bracket for a slave cylinder. My questions: I have heard that to do this you need to run the diaphram style clutch. What is the stroke length needed on the slave? Also, when i get a flywheel, is it externally balanced??? Do I have to get a new harmonic balancer?? I've heard no, but just checking. I'm sure I have more questions that i will think of later. Thanks - Doug

2. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

are you running a 400 sb or a 350, 400 are externally balanced while all others are internally balanced, strokers (350 with a 400 crank) would be externally balanced

3. KrebsATM02

Running a stock 350 TBI

4. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

buy a fly wheel that's for an internally balanced motor

5. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

as for the other slave cylinder stroke I don't know, but I could check the stroke distance on mine tomorrow if nobody else knows, mine is not hyd. but the stroke needed could be told by the distance traveled on the manual style, if you are just going to mount the cylinder on the side of the stock manual style bell housing, pushing the throwout fork, I'll let you know if nobody else does sooner /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hydro Adapt

Almost everything you'll need in one easy to use package...

7. KrebsATM02

That would be nice, but i'm a poor college student with a friend that works at the parts store, and more time to build a bracket, then to buy one. Plus that didn't look like it came with a master cylinder?? Thanks though, i found some good reading on that site.

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I checked out that link.
    For about $150 they sell you what you need to mount a slave cyclinder on an older chevy bellhousing.
    That's all good, but what do you do about the master cyclinder? It seems like you'd still need to get a pedal setup and MC from the junkyard.
    -- Mike

9. KrebsATM02

My friend works at the parts store, i.e. I can get parts for cost. That bracket looks pretty damn simple to make. I made a bracket for my york, so something with 2 bolts should be pretty damn easy. Wish i could just find a stock bell housing for hydraulic. If ya'll know someone that is getting rid of one let me know. I'm also in need of a flywheel. Read my Raptor post here and you'll know why i'm doing this swap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif