Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm 465 tranny?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by parker, Apr 14, 2004.

1. parker

parker Registered Member

I have a 79 gmc with a 400 I believe two freeze plugs on the side of the block and what I have been told is an sm465. It has a granny low and then three more foward gears
    the front diff is limited slip and the rear is a locker.
    are you suppose to take of in low or first. Is my discription consistant with an sm465

2. rvreddog

rvreddog Registered Member

First,unless you are towing.

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

low gear is not syncronized (neither is reverse) so take off in 1st gear unless towing.. or what he said /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Depends if you motor had enough guts to start you out in 1st (technically 2nd gear). If you are running larger tires and your motor struggles to get you out of the hole in 1st then use granny low.

Harley

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes 465 would be the four speed manual that would be in a 79

you should always use 2nd gear for normal driving take off, use granny low first gear for when you are loaded down and need the low ratio to get going so you can get off in 2nd, like when you are pulling a loaded trailer, etc.

use what gear you need to in order to take off without burngin the clutch off, every truck with a 465 or 420 etc. tranny in it that i have ever seen or driven or ridden in has been able to take off in second gear just fine, second gear in these top loaders is real close to same ratio as first gear in the little side loaders

these top loader truck trannies are not like car and s-10 trannies that have a 3.00 something first gear,
    these big truck toploaders have 6.55/7.06 range of granny gear ratio

twice as deep as a side loader tranny has

they are work horse units, not light daily driver trannies

good luck