Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm 465 w/6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Ruthiford, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Ruthiford

Ruthiford Registered Member

Just wanted to know how many of you guys have swaped in a 465 behind a 6.2?How does the combo work together(as far as driveabilityand power in top gear)where did you get your flywheel from?also what axelgears and tire size you ran
    Thanks!

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm watching this post as I've got a SM465 also. If it does marry real well, I'll have to ante up for a NV4500.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. Heavychevy

Heavychevy Registered Member

Hey guys. I swapped a 465 into my suburban this past August. I love it. I'm running stock tires and 3.42 gears so far. Seems to be geared just right for the 6.5 I swapped in the year before. I had a 6.2/700R4 set up, which had no balls whatsoever. Had to buy my flywheel from Gm, and I used a Centerforce II clutch. Presently am installing dual 3" exhaust with removable H pipe. Next summer will be 1ton axles and transfer case. If you do the swap, get flywheel for the J model. It weighs about 46 lb.s. When you install it, you will see/feel why these setups have so much power down low. It is worth the work, for sure!

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

'That's what we want to hear! What diameter are your stock tires, 29"? Intersting bit on the flywheel, I had no idea they had different weights, what else is available (heavier/lighter)?

5. Heavychevy

Dan........Tires are 29". On the flywheels.......the first one I bought was a one piece flywheel for '93 and up (6.5). This one is used for the NV4500. It won't work with the older bellhousing/clutch fork setup. It weighs about 38 lb.s. It will not work because the clutch springs will hit the crank bolt heads. Centerforce says they don't make a clutch to fit this set up.(?) At first glance, both flywheels look the same. They even have the same casting number. Also, there is another '80's flywheel listed in my parts book and it has to be somewhat lighter duty than the J. I weighed both flywheels on the bathroom scale. One more thing, my starter from the 700r4 would not allow full tooth engagement, so I had to buy one for manual trans. Hint: Gm is not supplying the original style starters anymore. Ask for a starter, and they send one of the new gear reduction starters and don't want your core! Later.

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Good info. Kinda wierd about that starter not fully meshing, but I already scrounged up a geared starter anyway. I was really interested in how the 6.2 performed with a granny 4spd, sounds good enough for me. Unless I trip over a NV4500 for semi-cheap..... I'll still be alittle bit "buzzier" on the highway spinning my 35" w/4.56 (2800 rpm vs. your 2575 rpm @65mph) oh well, gives me a good excuse for getting 38" rubber ;o)

7. Ruthiford

Ruthiford Registered Member

Yea thanks for the info! I was thinking abou the 465 w/5.13 and 38's I dont know Im stil thinking ??????

8. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

HeavyChevy your making me scared!! I have an 86 6.2/TH400 that I am swapping to an SM465 in 2 weeks and I went to the GM dealer to find out about the flywheel and they told me their were two flywheels- one for the 6.2 C for 82-86(I think) and then the for the 6.2 J/6.5 there was only one flywheel for 1982-2002. They wanted $350 for that so I decided to look elsewhere.

Then I called the diesel depot and I talked to a guy there. He told me that all the flywheels were the same (in the same respect as the GM dealer told me) with the addition of a 93-9? when they used a dual-mass flywheel. But anyways he told me that his son was doing the same swap on his 6.2/TH400 and that he would sell me a 93+ new take-off flywheel for $150. So I bought it and it is sitting here at my house.

Now I am really scared, because I am swapping it in real soon here and now I don't know what to do. Is there a way I can check this out? Why would GM list only one flywheel if there are different ones? Will all clutch manufacturers that make a clutch that will work? WHAT DO I DO!

Thanks a million, Nick

9. Heavychevy

[​IMG]Nick, I guess you read my post on the flywheels too late. The only way that flywheel will work is with the new bellhousing with the internal throughout bearing setup. I already made the mistake. Ten years from now, I figure I'll move up to the new setup and a NV4500, when these things become more plentiful in the boneyards, and the price comes down. If you intend to use the early bellhousing, you need to buy the $350 flywheel. But you should try to get it for $250 (wholesale). Try GM parts direct. You could also try, on the net, for a used one and then get it resurfaced. I know what you are going thru, bro, as I wrestled with this problem myself, only a few months ago. Don't let this deter you tho. IT IS DEFINATELY WORTH THE WORK![​IMG]

10. kickinasphalt383

Do you by any chance have a part number for the correct flywheel? And would you know why the GM dealer said there was only one flywheel for the 6.2 J and the 6.5 from 1982-2002? Or is the one they have just a universal fit?

Thanks for the help

11. Heavychevy

OK, Nick...........here is your x-mas present![​IMG] The GM part number for the J model flywheel is:14077160
    Merry Christmas!

12. kickinasphalt383

Thanks a bunch. Merry Christmas to you too!!

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

'Just checked GM Parts Direct, that's $209. plus shipping. Oow, I bet that puppy's heavy. Better put the screws to my local dealer and see what he can do for me.

14. kickinasphalt383

HeavyChevy I have another question for you... maybe you know the answer. I would assume that you used the centerforce clutch? because centerforce lists one part # for the 5.7gas, 7.4gas, and 6.2 diesel for a large span of years. My question does not relate to Centerforce but I thought maybe you (or anyone else) had some knowledge on the subject... anyways Brute Force and the local auto parts (Murray's) list different part numbers for the 5.7gas+7.4gas and the 6.2. Would you happen to know if they are all the same. The other thing is a 1979 (which is what year my trans is) calls for an 11" clutch at the auto parts store and for a 1986 5.7gas and 6.2 it lists a 12". I would think that they would all interchange, that is also what I heard from Diesel Depot, and if Centerfoce only has one number then shouldn't they all interchange?

Any advice from anybody would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks again

15. red450ih

red450ih 1/2 ton status

I called LUK, they said the Diesels use a different disc than a gas. A friction disc for a Diesel has to have a dampener built in to absorb the erratic idle of a Diesel. The one I bought is for a gas engine. This has driven me nuts for the last few weeks now. So anyone buying a clutch for a Diesel needs to be sure that they get the right one!

Thanks,
    Keith

Nashville, Tennessee

16. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

My truck came factory equipped with the SM465 and 3.73 gears. It's all right for daily driving, but it winds out on the highway with 31" tires. I'm used to the 700R4 overdrive in my other truck.

My plans are to swap over to an NV4500 if (when) this tranny goes. It does make some funny growling noises at low speeds.

Kickin,

didya swap the trannies out yet?

1986 K-10, 6.2L N/A diesel, SM465, NP208, 3.73 gears
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/14911798DvydoACKJE>My Chevy Photo Album</a>

17. kickinasphalt383

Yeah I did, its awesome!!! I love it.
    I kept the 6.5TD flywheel though and used a 6.2 clutch kit from the auto parts store, seems to work good so far.

My truck winds out too (w/ 4.56s and 36"s) but I never had o-drive so I had to get used to it a long time ago!

<font color=red>Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest</font color=red>

18. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

Hey kick, I just saw this post and was reading through it. I have an 82 6.2 witha wussy 350 behind it. I was reading all of you struggles and it was nicce to get to the botttom and see that you finished the job and it all works, great job and thanks for posting the end result. congrats

Sergio

Check out my new website. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</a>