Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm 465

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OldBlew, Mar 11, 2002.

1. OldBlew

OldBlew Registered Member

Can anyone tell me about the sm465? It appears that it was the only 4 speed available from the early '70's up until '91. I am looking at buying a k20 pickup that was made in Canada. Did the Canadian models vary?
    If they did, were the 4 speeds they used any good??
    Thanks

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

im not sure when they used it but there was another 4 speed the sm420 but i think it was used in older models

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

my truck has a sm465
    and
    I am Canadian

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

yea it was used in older models; basically shift pattern is the same, but reverse if over and down towards the driver instead of away. bolt pattern is different too (just pulled one outta my 1950 chevy truck that I'm tossing, but I think they stopped using them in 67 - or there about)

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

465 came in in 68 and ran to 91

"but reverse if over and down towards the driver instead of away. "

I did not realize that. You learn something every day /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

yea it is, and its kinda annoying... we've had a tranny like that for years in our cattle truck, but I didn't really it was a sm420... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif LOL

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

465 output shaft came in 2 versions 10 spline and a 32spline. not sure but someone correct me the 32spline came out in 81.

ARQ.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not the only four speed available, there was a "car" transmission available for a few years as well, it has external linkage though, and would be easily identified if you crawl under the truck.

There is an arly 80's truck in the yard here with a 208 in it, with factory non-SM465. I think GM got wise and dumped that idea after only a couuple of years though, thats the only non SM465 I've ever seen in a truck our vintage.