Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm 465

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83PJW, Aug 28, 2002.

1. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

i was wondering... how common was the 465 in chevy blazers? i have one and love it. also did every truck with a 465 come stock as plain as mine? i have no ac no power windows not even vents in my dash for a heater just defrost vent up top. one more thing do i ever have to worry about breaking it or is it like the 14ff indestructable?

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I hear its really strong so you dont have to worry about it, i have a custom deluxe truck that came with it. And it has no power anything but i DO have AC and heater stuff.

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I think the majority of Blazers came with auto trans. I have a custom deluxe that came with AC, PS, PB but most of the "plush" crowd wants a Auto trans also...you could have ordered a truck with power everything and manual trans.....

4. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

as far as I know, the majority of GM light duty trucks with a manuel tranny came with one. From 68 up until 92ish. It even came on some heavyduty trucks, so it is a monster. I have an 87 with ac as the only option, and a SM465 is what came with mine. There are several differnt models though, with 10, 32 and 35 spline out put shafts. theres .02 to work with.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The older the Blazer, the more likely it is to have a manual trans. A lot of 1st gen Blazers have 465s, and also a lot of column shifted 3 speeds. As the years went by, automatic transmissions became more and more popular, and manual trans equipped trucks are harder and harder to find.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you bought a no options truck the tranny that would have came in it was a 465 from about 70 up. 420's came in some 2wd trucks also.
    The auto was the option. On the early trucks the hard top was the option. Default no option would have been a soft top with a pickup truck tail gate /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. THe stick is more common the older you get but you still see a fair amount in "work" trucks. The base model strippers. My bud had one in his 305 equiped 84 K5. I have ano0ther friend with a short bed with one that is a 82. The only two K5's for them 70's that I have seen local with the 465 is Depdog's and a Guy in my club has a 76 with one.

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have 2 '76 Blazers that have the SM465/205 combo. From what I can tell, they were both converted from automatics. So far, I've converted my '81 Suburban and '75 Blazer to 4 speeds as well.

Seems like most, but not all the trucks Ive come across with 4 speeds are rather plain models like the Custom Deluxe, or the Scottsdale. One truck, our '80 GMC Sierra Grande came factory with the SM465/205, plus had all the options, A/C, Tilt, PW, PDL.

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

got a factory 465 in my 84 custom deluxe....again a stripped truck...even if I were to pick up a 91 auto tranny blazer this 465 would be coming with me... I LOVE IT!