Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sm grinds in Low even w/ clutch in...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 8, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

If im in first and have the clutch floored and misshift to Low it grinds.. i dont let off the clutch or anyhting... It was going to second but it low and it wsa like Bzz real soft not loud or anything i didnt use any force i usually try to shift soflty. Is that normal or do I have some porblems. Also i have a hard time getting into low on the street ( i know not to use it but just experimentally) I can only get it into low gear when im in 4wd or when the truck is off...?Thanks

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

It is supposed to be like that to keep you from dropping your drivetrain or blowing your engine "on accident" That low gear is super low and now made to be shifted into above 5mph. I can usually only shift into it from a dead stop or really near it....you'll notice the same with first and second its hard to shift back into first at speeds over 15mph and hard to get back into second at speeds abouve 30mph matter of fact i wouldnt downshift at any higher than the speeds i listed...consult your chevy book if you have the original one that came with the truck it gives lots of specs on the sm465 and shifting ranges

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Nah I dont have the book, I have a monster tach though... I put the shifting points at 3k and the lgiht lights up, i usually shift to second right before the lgiht comes on like 2.8k or so.
    Thats cool... 6.55 : 1 is pretty low lol.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.57 gears, limited slip front, auto locker in the rear, Force2 Catback, rear springs, SSR's

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes that is normal also to get into low if it is not going in try putting a small amount of preasure and slowly leting the clutch out thats what i do work great

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I think low is not syncronized. As long as your not going too fast, it should go right in if you double clutch it.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i have to be completly stopped to get into 1st (low) and have to be under 5 mph to get into 2nd

You know who I am

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Even at a dead stop it helps to shift into first or second then shfit into low. Same works for reverse, shift to a gear that is synchroe'd first and then into reverse and it usually won't grind. Light pressure towards first while slightly engaging the clutch also works.
    These tranny's all seem to have a personality of their own...it just takes a while to get to know what your's will do and how to make it work smooth.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Even my NV4500 goes into R easier if you go partway into 1 first. W/ the t-case in low I often have to double clutch to get back into the lower gears. I do it in high range going from 2 to 1 (granny) too.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd