Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM420 2wd Pictures

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GMCLegacy, Feb 17, 2003.

1. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

does anyone have pics of a 2wd SM420 in a 67 (or so) model pickup. i am looking to put a 420 in my pickup and have found a tranny out of bus, but the crossmember is tied into the bellhousing, i think this is because the motor mounts on the bus were located differently than on our pickups. It would seem that a lot of weight would be unsupported if the only crossmember is on the bellhousing.

Thanks
    Marc

mrspetos@mtu.edu

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

All the SM420 trucks I've had all had a crossmember under the iron bellhousing. I don't believe there ever was a provision for a tail-mounted crosmember.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

thanks for the pics. i guess i am used to seeing the 465 tail mounted crossmember.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

465 also werent tail mounted until some time after 73, all trucks even half ton and were iron bell housing with iron three bolt starter nose with rear engine mounts and crossmember under the bellhousing, when you look in parts and GM listings they are called rear engine mounts

and 420 were never tial mounted ever, they lasted from '47-67, 47 was also the first year of the eaton gm corp 3/4 and 1 ton axles 5200lb and 7200lb