Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm420 Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

There's one available to me but it doesn't have the bellhousing. I'm hoping/wondering if I can use the bellhousing off the hydro 465 that I've got sitting.:dunno:
    It's a 2wd 420 that may be used with a divorced Dodge 205, if I can find a bellhousing and if I decide to go that route.

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

they MAY interchagne. but a 420 bellhouseing WILL NOT wokrk on a 465 ask me how i know:doah: ive got both and need a bellhousing for the 465.

on the tranys where te main shaft goes out the round thingy around it. is bigger on a 420 than a 465.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Don't waste your time SM465's are pretty cheap and easy to find. A divorced Dodge 205 not so cheap and not so easy to find. Not to mention you would need new drive shafts driving up the cost........

4. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

the 420 was in chevy trucks from 67 and older should be easy to find a bell housing from one of them
    the 465 was 68 to at least 87 that i know of

the 420 was the smaller hole if i remember right a car bellhousing has the same size center hole
    the 465 had a bigger hole in the bell housing

a 420 should bolt up to a 465 bell housing but i wouldn't recomend doing it
    it is suposed to be a tight fit between the tranny and the housing for strenth

i think advanced adapters has adapters for the 420 to alot of different t-cases

i run a married 465 and a 205

i think the devorced would be a pain in the but to many u joints to break

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

420 = 4-11/16" hole same as passenger cars
    465 = 5-1/8" hole GM truck applications 1968 and up.

6. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

So the hole size is different. OK
    You're right about the 465's being cheap/easy to find. I've running one now and I've got the 2wd hydro 465 sitting in my parts truck. The 420 is also available to use('65 Chevy 2wd) and the divorced Dodge 205 is at the neighbors only a parts swap away. The last driveshaft I had built only cost me $152 w/ new spicer u-joints,so the total cost of the parts will be fairly low compared to going yard-huntin' to peice it all together. The availability of the major parts(420/divorced 205) is the only reason I'm considering it.

I'm starting with a completely bare K5 frame. The only thing on the frame at this point is the crossmembers.front rear hangers,and front front hangers. So there are many possible combos right now. I just haven't nailed down the drivetrain yet. Even the rear axel is in question at this point. D60 rear,4.11:1 LSD, 14bff dually rear unknown ratio, 14bff Srw 3.73:1 open... decisions,decisions.

Gimme some opinions,guys, don't be shy.

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Honestly, I'd rather run a 420 with a divorced 205 than a 10 spline married 465/205. The only problem with divorced cases in general is that you have to re-phase the middle and rear shaft if you want to drive down the road after having the truck in low range.

I'm sure there is a way you can find a BH and convert it to hydro for what you need.

8. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

re-phase? I don't know what is meant by that. Could you please explain in detail? Thanks.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'd rather have a sm420, why not just machine out the center hole?