Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465-205 gaskets/adaptor welding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jishory, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i have a sm465 mated to a 205 from an 89 k3500 and it had alot of bad leaks, it is apart now and im wondering if anybody has any part numbers for a gasket kit or all of the individual gaskets, i need the one for the top piece, the front seal retainer and the ones that go between the adaptor and the tranny and the t-case

and i broke off a tiny piece of my adaptor... what kind of weld would be the strongest on it?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what kind of welding are you good at? you could arc, mig, or tig weld it. WHats going to be strongest is what your best at and what you follow procedure on. Welding Cast Iron requires, pre and post heating. Have to heat the area up, weld it, then allow it to very slowly cool(say dunk it in a bucket of sand and leave it there for hours). Someone else will come along with a better explanation of the process and knowledge of welding it.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I made a post about a 205 rebuild kit a while back, search for that.

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

spray arc josh... v groove the crack... make sure its super clean.. try a bake off of any oils in a 400 degree oven for 1 hour before welding... spray arc does the preheat for you because you have the torch right there...
    I used to think nickel rod was as strong until I saw it under xray... spray arc has way fewer crystaline cracks in its metallic grain structure
    sled dog is correct about the processes... but spray arc seems the strongest for cast iron... Im assuming its the cast adapter and not something aluminum.. if its alum then tig is fine... not alot of shop have spray arc.. you might have to call around.. probably a 50 dollar fix... you might try for another adapter here on the board.. might be cheaper way to go

cam