Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sm465 / 205 swap question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mxrcr589, May 6, 2004.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

I got a 90 with electric speedo on my 700/241 right?, well how the heck will that work on a 465/205 mechanical speedo???

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Don't know how yours is, but on mine the speedo cable goes from the instrument panel to the speedometer adapter (which has a ratio stamped on it). Changing the speedometer adapter is what calibrates a mechanical speedo. It screws on to the transfer case, and is coupled to the speedo gear with a little pin that has a square shaft on one end and a round one with a little tab on the other end (the most common speedo failure seems to be when that square shaft becomes rounded).

I don't know what your setup looks like, but even an electric one starts oune with some mechanical motion somewhere on some level. Might be able to retrofit something, or just tear out your entire system and put an old one in.

As far as your conversion goes, I'm just finishing that one up, and have a gallery below in my signature. Will have more pics this weekend. Let me know if you have any questions.

3. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

yeah thanks, im starting this soon so im sure ill ask you some more questions in the near future