Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SM465/205 to th400/205, what do I need for swap???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 80blackgmc, May 10, 2006.

1. 80blackgmc

80blackgmc Registered Member

Hey guys,

Right now I have the sm465/205 combo, and, I have a th400/205 core sitting here. I'd like to pull the 350 out of this truck and put a nitrous 454 in and make it an automatic. I can get the th400 built just how I like it. And I do know about the balloning problem, will address it. Best buildup I can do on the 400 and a QUALITY converter.

BUT, what will I need to swap this th400/205 into the truck. I have only the th400/205 and otherwise I have nothing else. Will I need another cross member, or, can I mod my 465 one to fit? What about driveshafts and yokes?

Thanks a lot guys,

Igor.

2. 80blackgmc

...someone must have done this swap...

3. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I went from the 400 to the 465, and am havign the hardest time understanding why anyone woudl do this, but here is my best guess at what you will need.

Since you have the tranny and transfer case bolted together already you will need:
    - Flywheel
    - Torque Converter
    - Cross member (I apologize, but I cannot remember if I used the TH400 one on the SM465)
    - Shifting linkage (probably an aftermarket on the floor type deal - Art Carr?)
    -Tranny cooler and lines
    - Driveshafts and yokes. Go look at your current 205 for th eyoke quesiton, are they the same or different. As for length of driveshafts, I had mine adjusted. I think the two setups are very similiar in length, but I changed the lift at the same time so had teh driveshafts done at the same time.

Hope some of this helps...

4. 80blackgmc

Yes, thanks.

I am going to change from a 350/456 to 454/400 combo. I do have the flywheel/cooler/tc and all those parts. For trans shifter, I plan on running a floor mounted aftermarket setup. For the 205 case, I'm assuming I can mod my current shift linkage to work. I have to tweek it anyway due to the body lift. It does not sound like a toomuch trouble retrofit, but we'll see.